setting up Emco compact 5 PC

More
12 Nov 2010 19:55 #5277 by caloups67
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2022 17:24 #236519 by Kosta79
Hello The second photo isn't available. does anyone have the second file ? :side:

thanks for all your help

More
07 Mar 2022 03:54 #236558 by mikeross
What do you need to know? How are you controlling your Emco compact 5 PC? Parallel port or ???

Updated stepper drivers or are you trying to keep the original hardware?

BTW - I have an Emco compact 5 that I gutted the electronics and completely updated, much nicer to use....

More
15 Mar 2022 22:16 #237394 by prcdslnc13
Does yours have the tool turret? If so what did you use to control that?

More
24 Mar 2022 00:43 #238181 by mikeross
Yes, I have the tool turret. Its adapted to use a stepper motor instead of the DC motor, and uses a slightly modified version of toolchanger.comp to run it.

More
08 Apr 2022 18:31 #239684 by Kosta79
Full story... I bought the Emco Compact PC to learn cnc turning, it was working great when I bought it. It's running Linux but I didn't use it for about a month or so, and my password wouldn't let me log in. So I wiped everything from the drive, and reinstalled Linux Debian from this website.

-Linux Debian
-All original boards and components (trying to keep for now)
-No modifications except safety switch bypass
-Parallel Port
-Also have the original Emco software in english on an old relic laptop (pretty cool just not as advanced as mach3 emc or any newer stuff)

After reinstalling Linux tried adding a hal file but it wouldn't take and kept giving me errors. messed around with it but I couldn't really figure it out. I tried the old relic emco laptop and the machine came to life with the original software, I think it's just a configuration of the ports pins i/o etc.

Honestly I'd love to swap out the break out board and install something for mach 3 (I use this for my mill and cnc router) but I don't know the pin outs on the motor driver board. Or go with a complete gut and update every as the actual lathe is beautiful. And then add a tool changer (so cool!)

Thank you for your reply & Apologies for the late response

More
08 Apr 2022 18:33 #239685 by Kosta79
oh for turret? does that require a separate motor driver or is it on the emco board? I really want to add one!

More
11 Apr 2022 00:06 #239871 by mikeross
If you search around long enough on the internet you'll find links to the setup you have, where you are driving the machine by sending signals to the stepper drives from a parallel port.

My machine I gave up on that and replaced the stepper motors with modern ones (simple unbolt and replace - same form factor Nema 23 and 1/4" shaft). I also replaced all the legacy electronics - while intriguing, they are just not useful in a practical sense and it was easier (faster) for me to replace them.

Long story short - I don't know where the original turret motor control was located, but it was only maybe 2 relays (forward and reverse/hold at half voltage)..
My turret is now controlled by Linuxcnc through a modified component, though you could also just use the original control as well.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kosta79

More
11 Apr 2022 00:54 #239874 by Kosta79
Interesting I'm going to check it out! I bought my Emco with 2 control boxes tried doing the modification for Mach 3 but it didn't work. I'm probably going to try and figure out what went wrong with the Mach 3 mod first.

Thanks for your reply

More
11 Apr 2022 22:21 #239982 by andypugh
FWIW there isn't functionally much to choose between Mach3 and LinuxCNC for a mill, but for a lathe LinuxCNC is significantly better.
(Enough so that when Tormach wanted to make a lathe they switched everything over to LinuxCNC)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kosta79

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds