Ubuntu install

More
25 Jun 2024 14:40 #303753 by cncproject2024
I have been given a laptop that runs ubuntu for a linuxcnc machine. Will I need to wipe the laptop and install debian instead, or am I able to download linuxcnc onto ubuntu (even though everything I see online says its for debian) in the same way that I would onto debian? Sorry for such a simple question, I am completely new to this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2024 16:15 #303758 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ubuntu install
What version of Ubuntu does it run?
-
In general, laptops are no good for running machines due to power saving options, but some can be used, rarely.
Running LinuxCNC in simulation mode with no hardware can be done and used comfortably as it does not need strict timing.
-
If the laptop has the new Ubuntu 24.04, then you can install LinuxCNC just by typing this in a terminal:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
This will work for sim, but will not work for machine control as Ubuntu has restrictions regarding the required RT kernels, and although it can be made to work, it is much easier to use the ready made image for 2.9.2 from the downloads page.
You can download that image and write it to a USB stick then boot the laptop from it, it will run LinuxCNC without installing it, so you can at least do some tests and see if the latency is acceptable/usable or not usable.
Also, go into laptop BIOS and disable all power saving options, C states, hyperthreading, TPM, and whatever you do not need.

More
27 Jun 2024 11:34 #303888 by cncproject2024
Replied by cncproject2024 on topic Ubuntu install
Hi, I am really struggling to install LinuxCNC. I am currently running Ubuntu, but this will change to Debian next week. For installing to Ubuntu am I able to download LinuxCNC directly to my laptop, or will I need to download the image to a USB stick and boot it all from there (and is it the same on Debian)? I have been trying to install it directly to my laptop, but am having no success. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

More
27 Jun 2024 13:16 #303899 by cornholio
Replied by cornholio on topic Ubuntu install
You can download the latest Linucnc image, write to a USB stick and then boot from it and run a Live session without having to install anything.
Later you can install it to the laptop.

Best way to install is from the Linuxcnc image written to a USB stick. When booting from it the opening menu will give you the option of running a Live session or installing Linuxcnc (this will install Debian Bookworm OS all setup for Linuxcnc), you'll find the installer is the Debian Bookworm installer. After the installation has run its course you'll have brand new installation of Debian Bookworm with the required kernel & Linuxcnc ready to go.
Whilst you can use one of the install ISO from Debian and do a plain vanilla install, then install Linuxcnc it's not the easiest route compared to the above mentioned method.

But. Here comes the advanced portion
Now if you are have some free space on the Ubuntu partition, say at least 16GB and can shrink the partition with gparted you can install Linuxcnc along side Ubuntu. To begin with I wouldn't install Debian from a Debian disk, I'd install it from the usb stick you have written the Linuxcnc image to..

The easiest way to shrink a partition is to use www.system-rescue.org/
Boot after you have written the image to s USB stick, type startx to start the gui, then run gparted to shrink the Ubuntu partition if there is the room. GParted is pretty intuitive and I've never had a failure, but it may be best to backup at least your home directory first if there is anything "mission critical".
Tho as has been said before Laptops aren't the best, not really recommended actually, for machine control. But to get an idea of how it works and even testing gcode via one of the simulation configs it will be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncproject2024, GeckoWorks

More
27 Jun 2024 15:10 #303905 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Ubuntu install
@cncproject2024

NO Double posting!!!
Just wasted 7 minutes to fix this mess as you used the same tittle for both topics.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds