Linux CNC and PCIe parallel port card

More
01 Jul 2024 07:22 #304127 by hpmax
I posted this on Facebook's LinuxCNC users but figured I'd try here too:

I recently purchased a parallel port based 6040 router and at the recommendation of a coworker I'm trying to run LinuxCNC to control it and finding it problematic. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3668 with a StarTech PCIe card (I only have PCIe slots) with an AX99100 based port. Latency appears to be about 19000, although it's mostly not more than 4000.

I downloaded the Linux driver from Asix websites, and made it, and then did the install as they suggested. It seems to install on base address 0xd010. After install of the driver LinuxCNC no longer complains about the port not being configured. I turn ESTOP off and turn on the machine (via the interface) and nothing happens. I put an o-scope on pins 2 and 3 (X direction and step) and they look like they are low even when commanded to move on the X-axis. So it looks like it's not the router here but something weird about LinuxCNC or the parallel port.

Also worth adding that for whatever reason I had rmmod the parport_pc module and reinstall after a reboot..

Any thoughts on the next step diagnose and fix?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2024 08:57 #304130 by ississ
Check dmesg output and search for parport.
Check lspci (-v), which ports are listed for the card.

is this the same card: forum.linuxcnc.org/16-stepconf-wizard/46...card-ax99100?start=0

More
01 Jul 2024 12:21 #304144 by cornholio
Here's some info:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...parallel-port#303645

There is always the chance that lspci will show the card ports as "disabled", but it's usually the case that drivers aren't required and are aimed at the serial part of the chip, these chips have the ability to work as a serial port, parallel or SPI port (this I have seen as a reference design and not in the wild).

Linuxcnc doesn't use the kernel driver to talk to the parallel port card. It has it's own driver that talks directly to parallel. The only real call the the kernel driver is to ask for "exclusive" use of that port. Even if that call fails and the port address you give Linuxcnc does exist it will merrily go on its way.

As mention in my linked post there are a couple of methods to work out the port address.

I knew this topic would pop again in a week or 2 after starting that thread.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds