Fresh Rpi4 Install w/7i96s Invalid Bitfile Header

More
13 Jul 2024 08:44 #305058 by Dmclements
Had this stuff for couple years but everytime I try and get something setup I run into problems and then just put it back in a box and back on a shelf.

But now I have an actual need to get this going to replace a 10yr old CandCNC packaged system.

Tried flashing the 7i96s_dpl firmware.

Returns the error: Invalid bitfile header!

The couple other posts I found mentioned updating mesaflash. My current mesaflash version is 3.4.9, and I’m not savy enough with reading github to know if thats up to date or not.

Not to mention network manager seems to be missing on the pi image, or at least there is no straightforward way of launching the gui for it from any menu I’ve looked in. So currently no internet connection on the pi, will work on that tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2024 12:41 - 13 Jul 2024 12:53 #305071 by cornholio
You are correct there is no network manager.

If you want the latest mesaflash you will need to build it from source following the instructions on the GitHub page. Current version is 3.5.9

Last edit: 13 Jul 2024 12:53 by cornholio. Reason: I'm stupid

More
13 Jul 2024 12:58 #305072 by cornholio
Run menu-config from the command line to setup a wireless network.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dmclements

More
13 Jul 2024 16:19 #305091 by Dmclements
Updated to 3.5.9, still get Invalid bitfile header!

Assume the firmware on the 7i96s is still the default, dont think I had any reason to attempt to change it any time I tried setting something up before. I do get a reply with the —readhmid.

The dpl firmware just turns my spindle encoder header back into general I/O, right?

More
13 Jul 2024 17:00 #305094 by Dmclements
Scratch that, my fault, used the wrong file extension.

More
13 Jul 2024 17:02 #305095 by tommylight

The dpl firmware just turns my spindle encoder header back into general I/O, right?

No, the dpl firmware should be for plasma, so it make 3 single input encoders as it needs only encoder velocity to function.
Any Mesa firmware, if you do not use a module in hal, will leave the pins as normal IO.
Just do not load the encoder and use encoder pins as normal.
Beware those are only 5V pins.

More
13 Jul 2024 21:42 #305110 by rodw

Not to mention network manager seems to be missing on the pi image, or at least there is no straightforward way of launching the gui for it from any menu I’ve looked in. So currently no internet connection on the pi, will work on that tomorrow.

Please read the notes on the download page to set up your wifi. Network manager adds latency.
Please follow the instructions  in man hm2_eth to set an IP address for your connection to your mesa card

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds