best linuxcnc version for beginner

More
19 Aug 2024 19:52 #308161 by RLA
Hi...I am looking to switch from Mach 3 to linuxcnc to expand my existing 5 axis cnc to 9 axis...bought a 7i96s board and was directed to run my existing BOB off expansion from mesa board...i downloaded the Debian 12 bookworm version and set up board but need to change firmware to get more axis...Mesa configuration tool is not working as i get error about python 3....So is this my best course to stick with this version or is there another that might be easier to get going? I love the idea of switching but it seems so far like you need a lot of linux knowledge to navigate all the steps necessary to complete a task..Any help??

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2024 22:49 #308170 by my1987toyota
  Ah, I remember when I switched from Mach3 to LinuxCNC you will need some knowledge of linux yes, But
not as much as one would think. What one needs most is patients. So far Debian Bookwork is a great
place to start. Yes their is some growing pains from say LCNC 2.8 to 2.9 with the Python switch over but
with software advances it comes with the territory. My suggestion is first have a good look at the LinuxCNC
manual for what ever version you choose to run. Then make the simplest setup you can as a base line.
Save that profile as a backup then start going more complicated in small increments and save the profiles
so when something inevitably doesn't work you wont be set back too far when you try again.
  If you get exasperated at the whole thing take some time to think of a different way to tackle the
problem. Then theirs Youtube look for tutorials, you would be amazed at how much one can learn from
that site.  It may take more time then you were anticipating but you will get it. And of course there's this forum
you WILL get answers but you must be patient.
  That said this may be a question either PCW or JT could answer. You may want to ask this in the
Driver Boards section.
  As an aside if you want to learn more about linux in general get a cheap but reliable desktop or laptop.
Load up linux ( I usually load up Linux Mint ) and run some youtube tutorials to get to know the system.
Or if you want to feel like a Hacker load up Linux Kali and learn how to Pen. Test your home network.

I hope this helps

More
19 Aug 2024 22:52 #308171 by cornholio
Linux is good as it quite verbose when an error occurs. New users not so good as often they don’t relay the error messages that Linux gives them. Then experienced users have to spend a lot of time getting the exact message from them. Then both sides get upset.

Enough sarcasm.
The latest official ISO from the Linuxcnc home page is the way to go, it should “just work”.
Regarding your error, please relay the exact error you are getting, then we can move on.

The thing is you have to realise when switching to a new OS there is a learning curve. No one comes out of their Mummy’s Tummy knowing how to use Windows.
I would be in the same boat switching to Windows, the last version I used was Vista. Since then I’ve been exclusively Linux.
Ignore what the self proclaimed experts say about having to be a programmer to use Linux.
A funny thing is that not a lot of people complain about Linux when using something like a Raspberry Pi, little weird hey ?

Fear not my friend we will get you sorted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
20 Aug 2024 08:17 #308196 by cornholio
No double posting, one thread per issue.

More
20 Aug 2024 09:17 #308202 by rodw

Enough sarcasm.
The latest official ISO from the Linuxcnc home page is the way to go, it should “just work”.
Regarding your error, please relay the exact error you are getting, then we can move on.

I hope so.Took me months to build.... even Cornholio helped!

Linuxcnc is generally very good at reporting errors but you need to start it from the command prompt by typing linuxcnc to get the best reporting.
But typing "linuxcnc -l" where -l is "L for last", loads the last config you opened and I use it all the time as its a great shortcut

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds