Customized configuration files not being used

More
11 Mar 2011 01:49 #7709 by tgholford
I downloaded and installed BDI-EMC v4.51 and followed the installation and configuration steps in "The Enhanced Machine Control User Handbook" (20 July 2003).

Following the instructions in Section 4.2.1, I copied and renamed a set of five configuration files:

emc_tgh01.run
emc_tgh01.ini
emc_tgh01.tbl
emc_tgh01.var
emc_tgh01.nml

I started up my Sherline 5400 minimill and EMC and it all seems to work. I can use the Manual jog functions just fine.

However, it is not clear that EMC is using the customized configuration files.

The EMC start-up icon invokes the following command :

/usr/local/emc/generic.run -ini mill_inch_freq.ini

And when I use the EMC "Info" command, message window reports the following:

Parameter file is generic.var
Tool file is sherlinemill.tbl

My suspicion is that there is a step missing from the installation procedure and that EMC is starting up with a generic configuration instead of with my customized files.

Does anyone know how to get EMC to use the customized files?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2011 01:55 #7711 by cmorley
BDI-EMC is not supported anymore. Not sure if the developer who knows the most about it ( Paul ) ever reads the forum.
I'm sorry but I doubt your going to get much help here.
Pretty much everyone is going to suggest you upgrade to the latest released EMC (currently 2.4 series)

More
13 Mar 2011 20:02 #7785 by tgholford
cmorley wrote:

BDI-EMC is not supported anymore. Not sure if the developer who knows the most about it ( Paul ) ever reads the forum.
I'm sorry but I doubt your going to get much help here.
Pretty much everyone is going to suggest you upgrade to the latest released EMC (currently 2.4 series)

Thanks.

Glad I learned this now before I have too much time invested.

I got BDI-EMC via Sherline's website because it was free download and allegedly a "Brain Dead easy Installation". I ordered a Sherline CNC upgrade kit and it came with a software CD. I'll check out what is on the "official" product CD.

More
13 Mar 2011 21:50 #7789 by andypugh
Look at the top left of this forum window, and download the liveCD from there. Boot from the CD and see if the included Sherline configuration works.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds