live disk asking for "login"

More
04 Apr 2011 11:23 #8462 by alexr
Hello

To any one who can help me.

I managed to download the live cd. I did this because of all the problems i have been having trying to get RTAI working and the lack of any replies,

So... I decided to get a friend with a DSL connection to download the live cd for me.

Now that i have the live cd for emc2 and burnt this iso into a bootable disk; i have come across a new problem and by the way I have followed the instruction PDF to the letter!

For some reason the emc2 live disk, using the "without installing" option; asks me for a LOGIN.

Problem is it is a boot disk and has no login account as far as i know.

Is there something i should have done to the ISO to make LOGIN void? or is there a generic account and password i should be using? or is there a thread i have not found detailing this as a solved problem.

any help appreciated
alexr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2011 11:28 #8464 by BigJohnT
What version of the LiveCD did you download?

I've never seen a login prompt when booting from the LiveCD. Is there another operating system that is trying to load ahead of the LiveCD? Is your boot up sequence CD first?

Rolling your own RTAI is a quite advanced subject and it is unlikely that you would get much response for that subject here.

John

More
04 Apr 2011 11:40 #8465 by alexr
Replied by alexr on topic Re:live disk asking for
Ubuntu 10.04&EMC2 Live CD off the front page.

any ideas? the other threads just say reinstall and use cd only. well its off disk so.... reinstall what?!!!

the RTAI problem im having is the fact that the image and header files are no longer in universal repository for synaptic. the docs show up but nothing else.

If i could get a copy of the .112 RTAI header and image ALL WOULD be perfect and i would have rolled my own :-S EMC2 just seems to hate me at the moment. nothing but nothing works!!!

More
04 Apr 2011 11:44 #8466 by alexr
take my word i have done all the basics

as with everything i do with computers, its slow and methodical; your not dealing with a moron.

I disabled and even unpluged my hard drives. grub has nothing to do with this live cd. its the software on disk and it is un-modified

More
04 Apr 2011 11:56 #8468 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:live disk asking for
You never know the experience level of someone till you talk to them a bit so you tend to start with the basics.

I just popped the 10.04 LiveCD into my other computer and turned it on. I get a Welcome screen with the option to try or install. So I click "Try Ubuntu 10.04LTS" and it just loads up and is ready to try. No passwords needed.

Did your friend check the md5sum? Did he by accident burn the CD with password protection? I'm grasping at straws here...

John

More
04 Apr 2011 12:21 #8471 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:live disk asking for
alexr wrote:

If i could get a copy of the .112 RTAI header and image ALL WOULD be perfect and i would have rolled my own

Have you tried downloading directly?
www.rtai.org/RTAI/

(though the LiveCD or pre-compiled debs ought to be a lot easier)

I wonder (and this is me clutching at straws that JT missed) if the BIOS has some sort of security set to prevent CD booting without a password?

More
04 Apr 2011 12:29 #8473 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:live disk asking for
Alternatively, have you tried the install script (which should patch a pre-installed 10.04) (If the answer is "yes, that's the whole problem" then I apologise)

(Pasted from the 10,04 release announcement)

2. starting with an existing Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx install

Step 1: Install Ubuntu 10.04

Step 2: Once you have installed Ubuntu , get the install script from here:
www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install.sh , choose "Save to Disk" and
click OK.

Step 3: Now an emc2-install.sh icon will appear on your Desktop. Right-click
that icon, select Properties. Go to the Permissions tab and check the box
for Owner: Execute. Close the Properties window.

Step 4: Now double-click the emc2-install.sh icon, and select "Run in
Terminal". A terminal will appear and you will be asked for your password.

Step 5: When the installation asks if you are sure you want to install the
EMC2 packages, hit Enter to accept. Now just allow the install to finish.

Step 6: When it is done, you must reboot (System > Log Out > Restart the
Computer) - once you have rebooted you can run EMC2 by selecting it on the
Applications > CNC menu.

Step 7: If you aren't ready to set up a machine configuration, try one of
the
sim configurations; they run a "simulated machine" that require no
attached hardware.

More
04 Apr 2011 19:45 #8523 by alexr
Sadly its not the BIOS. I will try a few more options first before totally ruling it out though, I have had this happen in a similar fashion on another livecd now that I recall.

It was a different machine too "off a linux magazine" muti distro. xubuntu would load kubuntu would load, but ubuntu would come up with login!?!!

looking into this problem more, it happens with live linux live cd's of almost every flavour... no real solutions either. I wonder if it has something to do with GNOME? because it is the only common in this drama.

If only I could get into Xterm... lol. that would root the bastard :laugh:

The check sum works was one of the first things I checked after downloading. so i understand the grasping at straws.

I will see if i can find a solution, but just in case some one already knows i will keep this thread open.

thank you for your help

More
04 Apr 2011 19:49 #8525 by alexr
Indeed thats where i got RTAI.

Did i miss something or are the image and headers there? i couldnt find any?

on the forum/installing page is my post of what i have done and where i am upto with RT and RTAI.

if you know where to find the image and headers PLEASE TELL ME :woohoo: i will be your friend for life... well until for some reason that doesnt work either lol

thanks for the reply

More
04 Apr 2011 19:57 #8526 by alexr
sadly yes i have.

because i cant build RTAI the install is sitting there in ./configure configure stage

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds