How to rename the axis?

More
08 Feb 2023 11:48 #264025 by floppy
Hi,

I have a 3D printer that's controlled by linuxcnc. For moving it uses the axis x,y, and u. It has two extruders with the axis v and z. How can I switch the axis u and z so that u is the extruder and z the height of the print bed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2023 12:44 #264035 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic How to rename the axis?
Moved to "additive manufacturing".
We had a discussion about Z/UVW use in 3d printing a while back here, not sure what the verdict was, but the argument was it is better to leave the extruder as Z as it can be sped up/slowed down together with XY axis, while UVW could not.
Sorry, i am a fair bit behind on this.

More
11 Feb 2023 14:00 #264288 by floppy
Replied by floppy on topic How to rename the axis?
I see. Is there then a way to tell Axis that I use X, Y, U to move so that the rendering of the tool path is correct?

More
11 Feb 2023 15:36 #264293 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic How to rename the axis?
If I remember correctly then the issue was that if a Gcode uses any other axes than x,y,z the motion planner falls back to a one line look ahead which affects blending of the motion of the axes involved. So the idea was to keep the extruder as z axis because a 3d printer printer uses X,Y and the extruder (ie Z) for printing the individual layers and only increments the vertical motion (ie U) in between.
I'm not running a 3d printer with linuxcnc so I don't know how much of an issue that really is.

I'm not aware of any (easy )way to get the U axis position to display as Z in the preview.

More
14 Feb 2023 01:03 #264477 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic How to rename the axis?
Yeah aciera, thats the situation as far as i understand, but I also dont 3d print, so I havent been able to check.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/config/ini-co...#sub:ini:sec:display
Check the geometry section, you can choose what axis are displayed, so you can disable (preview z) aka extruder x
but also, what if you changed you (actual motion)z axis to w? w would be parallel to z, so it would be correct preview wouldnt it?

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds