Klipper vs Marlin vs LinuxCNC ?

More
04 Jul 2024 19:51 #304421 by my1987toyota
  So I have been 3D printing off and on some last year and a ton this year . Where I work we have a Bambu Carbon X-1
(soon to be two)  and a Prusa Mini, and of course now I am playing around with my foam cutter, soon to be running under
Marlin control  instead of just GRBL. I am considering in the near future building my own 3D printer i.e. a Voron not sure
of model yet. I have some questions though,  most use Klipper as the control software.
Has anyone done a straight up LinuxCNC version?
If so how did it compare to Klipper or Marlin?
Anything to be aware of other then a long list of extra coding for temp. control and the like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2024 20:38 - 05 Jul 2024 01:50 #304425 by tommylight
ScotA has done a lot of testing but no idea of the current state, he's not much here lately.
I have built over 10 Vorons by now, i have 5 Voron 2.4R2, 3 of those use linear rods on Y and Z instead of linear rails, so i can provide ready made stl's for 8, 10 and 12mm rods, if i can find them.
As for Marlin vs Klipper vs LinuxCNC:
The good:
LinuxCNC = reliability, flexibility, use as you like/need/want
Marlin = runs on arduino Mega, can resume after power failure, quite reliable, SD card support, easy to use
Klipper = tailored for 3D printers, Telegram for monitoring
The bad:
LinuxCNC = no pressure advance
Marlin = very limited user control, any mistake=restart print, not easy to set up for new users, any configuration change requires flashing the controller
Klipper = very limited user control despite many adjustments, very high overhead/bloated, knows to mess up on it's own, not easy to set up for new users, very hard to set up and test and verify a DIY 3d printer for new users
Last edit: 05 Jul 2024 01:50 by tommylight. Reason: more info
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
04 Jul 2024 21:31 #304430 by my1987toyota
All great information. Thank you. I didn't know it was heavily resource hungry  I had heard that the Klipper software was more
problematic to set up but it seems to be made out to be the Ultimate 3D printer software. Maybe by De-Facto? I will say I have
seen the Marlin stuff used as a standalone 3 axis router / mill software among other things . It is limited but sometimes simple
is best. What is your general recommendations for your Voron's and other 3D printers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Jul 2024 01:50 #304435 by tommylight
For installing Klipper use KIAUH, it simplifies everything to some keypresses and it is a bit faster than the normal copy/paste throughout several internet pages of howtos.
It works on Linux Mint and POP OS, not just RPI as most info points out to, so should also work on Debian.
Klipper is the de facto 3D printer software as it has everything needed and is constantly being developed and updated.
There are several pieces to Klipper:
-klipper running on the ST board/micro controller
-klipper running on host PC or RPI
-moonraker - the part that links Klipper to the outside world, like Mainsail or Fluid and Telegram Bot and stuff
-Mainsail or Fluid, both are frond ends or user interfaces, web based
-Klipper Screen does exactly that, shows info on screen and can be controlled from the encoder/buttons/touchscreens
-
-
Added some more info to the above post about Marlin

More
05 Jul 2024 11:26 #304451 by my1987toyota
HMM maybe I should get another Dell Optiplex 9020 micro to play with Klipper and KIAUH on.

More
05 Jul 2024 11:34 #304453 by Hakan
Adding that Marlin runs on 32-bit boards nowadays and many 3D printers come with Marlin, such as the Creality Enders. Pressure advance, bed leveling, silent stepper drivers are standard features to look for from a control board, such as the SKR Mini E3.
Marlin works very well. A separate computer such as a RPi is convenient to run OctoPrint for sending G-code over the usb line.
Of the three mentioned I would hesitate to run Linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds