Multiple Input to E-Stop Configuration

More
26 Oct 2015 20:22 - 26 Oct 2015 20:28 #64289 by Askjerry
I have three axis on my mill using the Geckodrive G320 DC Motor type drivers. When in normal operation, the ERR pin is at 5v (logic high) and if/when the drive fails, the pin goes to 0v (logic low). I have two Stainsmart boards connected to my dual parallel ports, the relay (Pin 14) of the second board is configured to apply a 5v reset signal to the drives to reset them at start up, and if an error occurs. (There are diodes to isolate each signal, etc.)

On my pyVCP panel, I have three indicators to let me know which, if any of the drives may have failed. I also have the mill set up to accept an external E-STOP signal to halt everything. All this works flawlessly so far. The three signals in the pyVCP are named GECKO-X, GECKO-Y, and GECKO-Z... a LOW signal makes the FAIL image pop up.

Parallel Port 0, Pin P13 = E-STOP (Active/Triggered Low)
Parallel Port 1, Pin P10 = X-Axis Err
Parallel Port 1, Pin P11 = Y-Axis Err
Parallel Port 1, Pin P12 = Z-Axis Err

Here is the issue... if any ONE or MORE of the error pins goes low... I need to trigger the E-STOP pin. (Logic Low)

There are two ways to accomplish this...
1) Connect a physical 4-Input NAND gate chip to the three pins and tie the remaining pin to high. (Or to another E-Stop switch.)
2) Write a HAL component to evaluate the three inputs and react accordingly.

I was looking at the software method... but both the AND function and the OR function only take 2 inputs as I understand them.
I know I could AND signal 1 and signal 2, then AND the result with signal 3... but that just seems too clunky to me.

Is there a software solution or should I just build the circuit and drop it into my interface matrix?
Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Thanks!
Last edit: 26 Oct 2015 20:28 by Askjerry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2015 21:40 #64299 by Todd Zuercher
There is already a pin in motion for connecting a servo amp fault. (axis.N.amp-fault-in)
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/motion.9.html

But this doesn't put the machine into e-stop, just power off. (F2) but this isn't necessarily all bad.

other software options would be to use a series of or2s, use lut5, or use classic ladder.

using the or2 is a bit clunky but it can work.

input0=>or2.0.in0
input1=>or2.0.in1

input2=>or2.1.in0
or2.0.out=>or2.1.in1

input3=>or2.2.in0
or2.1.out=>or2.2.in1

or2.2.out=>what ever signal

More
26 Oct 2015 22:00 - 26 Oct 2015 22:51 #64301 by andypugh

I was looking at the software method... but both the AND function and the OR function only take 2 inputs as I understand them.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/logic.9.html

Up to 16 inputs. And LUT5 will work too.
For 32 inputs you could use "bitwise" but that is rather more trouble.

[Edit] On further reflection, LUT5 is probably the most convenient as that lets you chose whether you want to e-stop on positive or negative logic for each input.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2015 22:51 by andypugh.

More
26 Oct 2015 22:57 - 26 Oct 2015 23:03 #64305 by Askjerry
Yes, the logic will work... I just need to tinker with it now and understand the syntax... but yes... 3 inputs, one output... then tie that to E-Stop... perfect.

I'll post code once I figure it out.

So far... from what I read...

loadrt logic count=1
addf logic.0 base-thread
net pyvcp.GECKO-X => logic.0.in-00
net pyvcp.GECKO-Y => logic.0.in-01
net pyvcp.GECKO-Z => logic.0.in-02
net GECKO-ERR <= logic.0.and

If any input or combination of inputs drop to zero then GECKO-ERR should equal ZERO.

I still have issues with figuring out net connections... so I'll have to play around with this... but I have the concept...

then once I get the logic command to work... I know that in my HAL file I have the following set up by stepconfig......

net estop-ext => parport.0.pin.13.in
net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

So it looks like I have to net GECKO-ERR to estop-ext to complete the logic... I'll start working on that...

Getting the nets right is always my stumbling block...

Thanks!
Jerry
Last edit: 26 Oct 2015 23:03 by Askjerry.

More
26 Oct 2015 23:33 #64309 by andypugh

loadrt logic count=1

loadrt logic count=1 personality=0x203
Will give you a 3-input OR gate

More
27 Oct 2015 00:06 #64312 by Askjerry
Ah.... ok...

I still think it must be an AND function... all three must be in LOGIC-1 state to have a NOT ESTOP

So...

loadrt logic count=1 personality=0x103
addf logic.0 base-thread

And I'm also thinking I need to point directly to the parallel port inputs, not the pvVCP indicators...

net parport.1.pin.10.in => logic.0.in-00
net parport.1.pin.11.in => logic.0.in-01
net parport.1.pin.12.in => logic.0.in-02
net GECKO-ERR <= logic.0.and

Right?

More
27 Oct 2015 00:30 #64314 by andypugh

addf logic.0 base-thread[/color]

Servo thread will be fine.

And I'm also thinking I need to point directly to the parallel port inputs, not the pvVCP indicators...

You actually probably need to link to the signals, if the pins are already connected.

More
27 Oct 2015 00:58 #64320 by Askjerry
Ah... servo-thread is then the slower of the two... not cycled as often... and less likely to slow down the machine...

I got them mixed up... which means... I need to revisit some of my other configurations as well. (blush)

More
27 Oct 2015 14:00 - 27 Oct 2015 14:09 #64337 by Askjerry
Major accomplishment. (For me anyway...) :laugh:

I have 4 inputs from the "real world"... if any one or more fails (goes low) then the machine MUST stop... ESTOP active.
  • ERR Signal from X-Axis Gecko Drive
  • ERR Signal from Y-Axis Gecko Drive
  • ERR Signal from Z-Axis Gecko Drive
  • A Big RED ESTOP SWITCH mounted on the mill
Additionally... there is a button on the pyVCP panel called GECKO-RESET, if pressed, the system should switch on a relay attached to the second parallel port, pin 14, parport.1.pin-14-out... then hold this relay active for at least 5 seconds to reset all the Geckodrives.

It took some fiddling... but I got it... and it works well. I needed to use the "NOT" and the "LOGIC" functions together to make it happen.
# -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
# Geckodrive Error Reporting and Reset System
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
loadrt 	not 			count=1		# Load 1 instance of the "NOT" routine.
addf 	not.0 			servo-thread	# Apply to servo-thread
loadrt 	timedelay 		count=1		# Load 1 instance of the "TIMEDELAY" routine.
addf	timedelay.0		servo-thread	# Apply to servo-thread
setp	timedelay.0.on-delay 	0.05		# Set delay to determine switch push to 0.05 sec.
setp	timedelay.0.off-delay 	5.0		# Set the delay time to 5.0 sec.
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# read the "gecko-clear" button and apply it to the time delay input, then invert and
# send the signal to the parallel port #2, pin 14... hold it for the full time delay.		
net gecko-clear-in		<= timedelay.0.in		<= pyvcp.GECKO-RESET 
net gecko-post-timer		<= timedelay.0.out		
net gecko-post-timer		=> not.0.in			
net gecko-post-invert		<= not.0.out			=> parport.1.pin-14-out
# -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
net panel-GECKO-X		<= parport.1.pin-10-in		=> pyvcp.GECKO-X
net panel-GECKO-Y		<= parport.1.pin-11-in		=> pyvcp.GECKO-Y
net panel-GECKO-Z		<= parport.1.pin-12-in		=> pyvcp.GECKO-Z
# Geckodrive Error to ESTOP system 
net estop-switch	<= parport.0.pin-13-in
net estop-ext 		=> iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
net estop-out 		<= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
# Use the "LOGIC" function to evaluate four (4) inputs... if any fail, act accordingly.	
loadrt logic count=1 personality=0x104 		# 1xx is AND, 2xx is OR, and 3xx is XOR logic sets.
addf logic.0 servo-thread
net panel-GECKO-X 	=> logic.0.in-00	# Input 1 of 4 from X-Axis
net panel-GECKO-Y 	=> logic.0.in-01	# Input 2 of 4 from Y-Axis
net panel-GECKO-Z 	=> logic.0.in-02	# Input 3 of 4 from Z-Axis
net estop-switch	=> logic.0.in-03	# Input 4 of 4 from Big Red Button on Mill
net estop-ext 		<= logic.0.and 		# Apply the final output to the ESTOP system	
# End of Configuration

I want to personally thank Andy Pugh for all his help... I could not have figured it out on my own... THANKS! B)

I hope this helps someone else with their system too!
Jerry
Last edit: 27 Oct 2015 14:09 by Askjerry.

More
27 Oct 2015 23:13 #64357 by andypugh
If you wanted to make it slightly simpler you could do away with the "not" function and simply invert the sense parallel port pin output.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds