Hardinge CHNC retrofit- Another one on the way!

More
04 Mar 2014 10:17 #44388 by Alloy Craft
Well time for a long overdue update. The shop were I had he lathe had to move so I just recently had time to get back on this. I mounted the motors on the stock heatsink plates, after I milled off all of the fins, cast aluminum sure cuts funny. I ran all of the cables but had to extend all of them since they were short. Extending encoder cables is not fun! Mounted the drives, contactor, filter and breaker and plugged the io cables.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I am using a 1/2 inch plate to mount the bearing block for the monitor swing arm. I bolted it to the 1/2 inch bar that is inside the cabinet, I think it should be strong enough. On top of the cabinet you can see the mounting nut for the monitor arm. It will thread into the ring that the cables are fed through in the picture above. The arm will be welded to the mounting nut.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I have the control pendant about half done, I should have left more wiring space its a little tight in there.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

That's it for now, still a lot to do, next I need to weld the monitor arm up and bore the new pulleys for the ball screws, as well as finish building the control.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 13:30 #45741 by jorsborn
I just purchased the exact same machine. I wasn't looking for one but the deal was just too good to pass up. :) I haven't had a whole lot of time to make it through the cabinet but I wanted to ask where you purchased the enclosure for your control pendant? Or perhaps you fabricated it?

More
15 Apr 2014 07:10 #45958 by Alloy Craft
I fabricated the control pendant. I have an extra one I could sell you if you wanted.

More
15 Apr 2014 09:32 #45959 by jorsborn

More
22 May 2014 09:31 #47182 by Alloy Craft
So does anybody know which bit file I should be using with the 7i33?

More
22 May 2014 09:37 #47183 by PCW
The 7I33 bitfiles are all named something like SVST4_4 or SVST8_4
or SV12 (and always have the first 7I33 on GPIO 0..23)

More
24 May 2014 07:14 #47270 by Alloy Craft
Thanks pcw that did the trick. Now I just have to figure out how to install my touch screen drivers. On a side note, anybody know of a good usb wireless adapter that will work with linux 10.04?

More
08 Jun 2014 13:05 - 08 Jun 2014 13:12 #47786 by Alloy Craft
Well i think i damaged my mesa 5i23 board. I was tightening the monitor arm bolt and accidentally swung the monitor into my adjacent bandsaw. Unfortunatley the 5i23 hit first and broke a small component off of the rear or the board. I tried soldering it back on, but the component is about the size of a grain of sand and it seems to have partially cracked. I think it it broken because Linux will not launch and keeps throwing errors about inability to start the FPGA. Other than that the operator panel fired up first try. Its a little messy right now, I still need to build the keyboard and mouse tray. Also having a bit of trouble getting the Elo touch screen drivers to work in linux.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 08 Jun 2014 13:12 by Alloy Craft.

More
08 Jun 2014 21:42 #47790 by PCW
Looks like a resistor in the 1.2V power supply is gone.
Which is why the 5I23 card is found (the bridge is 3.3V only)
but the FPGA does not respond.
(The 0x00000100 response is actually the address part of the read request
which is what you get with a multiplexed address/data bus when the target does not respond)

This is likely easily fixable but needs to be sent back to Mesa. I can issue a RMA on Monday

More
16 Jun 2014 07:54 #47995 by Alloy Craft
I shipped the card back to you, Oleg gave me an rma # ? thanks again Peter.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds