Skew settings

More
13 Sep 2013 04:17 #38712 by bill516
Skew settings was created by bill516
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.

I've got my machine up and running with reliable homeing and not going past the limit switches, I can make the machine go to all the limits of travel via home written G-code as well as draw circles. I have had a cutter in the machine and did a bit of cutting of a g-code that I found on the net of an Egyptian scene as well a 'm Griffon. While results are not spectacular I had the cutter too deep you can see what they are supposed to be so, so far I'm pleased with the results.

So down to the question, I am getting down to setting the machine up, checking tolerances and what have you so I did a skew test as in the gsuite. After putting the numbers in it came up with a -0.321 deg skew, not bad really as its all made by hand and tape measure. How do I go about getting the skew into the machine so whenever I run the machine I dont have to think about the skew.

Bill

BTW is there a search function on this site, I've looked but I cant see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2013 04:22 #38713 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Skew settings
Search function is at the top of the forum when your not in a section.

Either correct it mechanically or use your CAM program to rotate the part or rotate the coordinate system.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G10-L2_

JT

More
13 Sep 2013 04:45 #38714 by bill516
Replied by bill516 on topic Skew settings
Thanks BigJohn never thought to look on the front page.

I think I'll have to go the software route as I dont have any means to adjust this machine that accurately, aybe the next one

More
14 Sep 2013 04:08 #38797 by bill516
OK I cant type, I put the wrong figures into the gskew programme and got the wrong answer. The correct skew I have is 0.0987deg which I think is not bad for pencil and ruler and sticking bits of wood together. I was doing some searching on the net today regarding skew and I kept getting links to the wiki and millkins.c, which I d/l'd as well as the emc2-dev. I tried to install millkins as per the wiki but it kept saying there was an error and it never made the folder it should have. Info on this module seems to be very scarce and the integrator manual on kinematics just tied my brain in knots and wrung it out. So does anyone know how to use this module or even better how to get to install and then what/how settings to put in to get it to correct the skew.

alastair.d-silva.org/desktop-cnc-milling-machine 5 November update refers to this usbject but again the maths does my brain in.

Bill

More
14 Sep 2013 04:29 #38800 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Skew settings

So down to the question, I am getting down to setting the machine up, checking tolerances and what have you so I did a skew test as in the gsuite. After putting the numbers in it came up with a -0.321 deg skew, not bad really as its all made by hand and tape measure. How do I go about getting the skew into the machine so whenever I run the machine I dont have to think about the skew.

There is an alternative to trivkins that allows you to program in the skew:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Contri...y_XY_skew_correction

It basically adds a bit of Y to any X move. The instructions are there, if a little terse. Section 1.3 is important, kinematics are realtime components.
Also, it's an old page and you should use linuxcnc-dev not emc2-dev (not our choice, there were lawyers involved)

More
14 Sep 2013 15:16 #38815 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Skew settings
Hello,

As John suggested you might try rotating the coordinate system with G10
Perhaps...
G10 L2 P1 R0.0987

Rick G

More
14 Sep 2013 17:11 #38817 by bill516
So am I right in thinking that the g10 and trivkins do the same thing, the only difference is you need to add the g10 to evey g-code programme you run, but the trivkins sets the offset when you start emc.

Andy thanks for the linuxcnc-dev tip I'll try that and see how I get on, if it works then the wiki will need updating.

More
14 Sep 2013 18:18 #38818 by Rick G
If the G10 works for you, you could add it to the [RS274NGC] Section of your ini file so it is activated each time you start linuxcnc.
The down side would be if you ran a program that uses G10 rotation it could be changed.

Rick G

More
14 Sep 2013 20:51 #38819 by bill516
So I am right about the g10 skew being specific to the g-code running and it is a volatile setting but the millkins/trivkins settings is applied at start up and is fixed until it is changed in the HAL file.

Regarding millkins I have now got it installed , I was trying the wrong install method, I had to use the one that was just underneath the one I was trying to use. The clues were there I just didnt read them properly.

More
15 Sep 2013 03:37 - 15 Sep 2013 16:12 #38837 by Rick G
Yes G10 is a volatile setting, it could however be set to run each time you start linuxcnc. But some g code file may change it, such as a program that uses G10. If no g code changes it during a run it will be persistent the next time you start linuxcnc.
I have never tried to skew with millkins/trivkins settings but if that works for you I would try that avenue.

Might also take a look at John's plasma sheet aligment for ideas.

Rick G
Last edit: 15 Sep 2013 16:12 by Rick G.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds