Need help with choosing hardware components

More
18 Nov 2015 22:20 #65468 by toolmaker69
Hello all,

I am ready to start putting together my micro mill using LinuxCNC, and I'm asking for help. These issues are what prevented me from trying to put this machine together while I had more work in the shop. Now things are slowing down and I will have time to build it.

It started as a CNC EDM, but I am using that iron because it is accurate to within 40 millionths of an inch (.001mm). The final machine would be a 5 axis micromachining center with a high speed spindle.

I have the machine pretty much stripped. I saved all the electronics in case I need any of it for the project. Whatever I don't need I plan to sell off to raise money for the parts I need instead. It would be great if I could get the accuracy I need with new boards instead of using the old electronics. I'm ignorant regarding whether I can, and not much information is available regarding the motors or feedback systems. The machine is from 1987.

The motors seem to be Mitsubishi HD40B-10S for the Z axis, and that also has glass scales. For the X and Y, they seem to be Mitsubishi HD 30 ET -02S. I've attached pictures of the encoders as well.

I'm hoping to use something like the Mesa 4I28 4 axis dc servo card. I can't find a dc servo (permanent magnet) controller card for 5 axes, and the fifth axis will come later, hopefully after the machine starts paying for itself.

Are the motors special, in that they need special servo controllers, amplifiers, or feedback systems? Is there a standard for wiring them?

I just don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help pointing me in the right direction.

I posted some pics. I have a lot more but I didn't want to choke the bandwidth of the forum if it was unnecessary.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2015 16:03 #65512 by andypugh
It probably makes sense to keep the drives, tacho-generators and servos.
With the drives connected to the motors and tachogenerators you will have a matched velocity-mode servo system. You can then drive that with analogue voltages from a Mesa, Pico, General Mechatronics etc system.

You would probably want to run the LinuxCNC position loop directly from the linear scales. Do you know if those are TTL or sinusoidal output?

More
19 Nov 2015 19:04 #65534 by toolmaker69
Thanks for the reply!

They are huge drives. The four drives (the machine has a c-axis), mounted in their cage, take up more than half of the top of a 1-1/2 by four foot long workbench. I'm strong and it was difficult to carry, so I'd guess it weighs between 60 and 100 lbs. I'm fine keeping it, plus the isolation transformer, other transformers and the power supplies. I'll need to build a cabinet. The old cabinet took up more room than the iron and I had no room for it in the shop.

The scale is only on the z-axis. I don't know much about those. I've mounted them on machines and had them on my CMM's, but don't know the internals. It seems to have an isolator coming out of it, then going to some sort of power box (Futaba) on top of the machine.

I couldn't get the wiring diagram for the old machine, but I was able to get the manual for the drives (today) since I purchased the machine from a Mits dealer originally.

I have about 250 pages of reading to do. I also have the specs on the HD30 motors, but not on the hd40.

How would I determine if it is TTL or sinusoidal output?

Thanks again.
Attachments:

More
19 Nov 2015 23:43 - 19 Nov 2015 23:46 #65545 by andypugh

How would I determine if it is TTL or sinusoidal output?

One way is with an oscilloscope.

Spares here: www.ebay.ie/itm/FUTUBA-POSITION-SENSOR-W...7:g:8BkAAMXQyY1TQxX8

It seems likely to be sinusoidal at the scale end, almost certainly digital after the black box.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 23:46 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toolmaker69

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds