X,Y, and Z Axes are Reversed

More
10 Dec 2015 19:58 #66761 by cncv
Linux CNC has been running fine until this morning. Now left is right and up is down. I thought it might somehow be the Vectric g-code, but this happens before I even run anything ... can't "home all." and can't use the arrow keys on the keyboard as they are backwards.

This isn't a hardware configuration problem -- everything was running fine last night. The only thing that seems to have changed is today is Thursday instead of Wednesday. Why / how is it even possible for LinuxCNC to start doing this? What is the fix?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2015 20:33 #66763 by cncbasher
are you sure , nothings changed ?
have you picked up a different ini file by mistake ?
any updates etc

More
10 Dec 2015 21:19 #66768 by andypugh
Can you give us some system details? (stepper, servo, layout?)

What is the modification date of your HAL and INI files?

More
10 Dec 2015 23:55 #66777 by tommylight
Also check for signal grounding.
Regards,
Tom

More
11 Dec 2015 00:47 #66780 by cncv
Replied by cncv on topic X,Y, and Z Axes are Reversed
This particular unix machine is not connected to the internet and has not had any updates. It's using Axis 2.5.

Out of desperation, I wiped down the x axis limit switch (again) (because it was the only thing exposed that had some sawdust on it. Then I re-booted (4th time on the re-boot). It magically fixed itself. Have no idea what happened.

More
11 Dec 2015 16:36 #66832 by andypugh

Out of desperation, I wiped down the x axis limit switch (again) (because it was the only thing exposed that had some sawdust on it. Then I re-booted (4th time on the re-boot). It magically fixed itself. Have no idea what happened.

Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. It is possible that the limit switch was involved, but equally possible that the reboot changed something.

I have never head of this happening before, and I rather hope we don't hear of it happening again.

More
12 Dec 2015 03:05 #66860 by cncv
Replied by cncv on topic X,Y, and Z Axes are Reversed
Ditto Andypugh. Could a new install of LinuxCNC and Axis be in order? Today, after setting the touch off points, another weird mishap caused the bit to not lift high enough over the wood. The bit crammed into the wood from the side, jammed downward into the spoiler board, and commenced to drill the design. Emergency stop. Check the bit. Breathe. Re-boot. Home all. Touch Off Again. All was fine the second time. I suspect I forgot to "do something" that initial instance, but I can't think of what. Either way, the previous board was thicker, so the Z axis was higher than this particular job, so even if I had missed the touch-off stage for the Z axis, wouldn't the pre-existing Z axis touch-off point preside?

I will check to see what the last modification date for the HAL and INI files is, but the files came pre-installed with the Probotix Unix setup. I downloaded the post-processor from their website. Everything has been solid and ready-to-go.

Tom ... signal grounding? Sorry -- noob here. Signal Grounding?

Gads.

More
12 Dec 2015 15:42 #66873 by andypugh

The bit crammed into the wood from the side, jammed downward into the spoiler board, and commenced to drill the design.

I have managed to make this happen by touching-off without the system thinking that there is a tool installed, then installing a tool.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds