Why was debian chosen over ubuntu?

More
15 Dec 2015 22:17 #67026 by BigJohnT

But why on earth use Debian?
It bugs the hell out of me in a way ubuntu never has.

You don't have to use Debian even though for a machine OpenBox works just fine for your desktop.

I use LinuxMint with the Mate desktop and everything is happy for me.

gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/mint-emc.txt
get the scrip from gnipsel.com/files/linuxmint/

JT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2015 13:09 - 20 Dec 2015 13:19 #67167 by Razor_keen
Jeff eppler brings up some interesting points. My comments may not mean much, but here goes.

Forgive my laymans, but i too think its messed up that any company using free ware based products would reuse user contributed software for commercial gains
Ubuntu has made a lot of mistakes on the privacy issue, in which they have made some amends, yet i would still caution people to opt out of certain features to minimize this. (google it)
Latency, as important as it is, is usually a software issue. OpenGL as you have said has made a bit of improvement. There are more than one distro of ubuntu in which it is a bit lighter of a penalty.
As much as we would like it, cannonical is a company, and being so they don't always send bug fixes upstream.
I can not comment on the prospect of opening so many windows. I would speculate its just a bad idea while running cnc.
Xubuntu seems to be very comparable if configured right. Id trust your opinion over my own, because of lack of testing.
Tjmarch is working on an iso that would bring linuxcnc to mint and ubuntu in a user friendly way. You can follow the progress at the topic ubuntu 14.04.1 linuxcnc help. epler if there was an iso available to install a custom kernel and linuxcnc, im sure there is no copyright infringement, is there?
Also im aware you used to own a d830 dell laptop in which you had some time to test with realtime latency. Did you make any progress in making that computer a viable machine controller? I have one i was planning on using with a docking station with an external video card, and was hoping you could speculate on the performance that might be obtained by doing so. as it stands latency is about 15000 at its worst, after smi is turned off. don’t worry, ive taken precautions to make sure the cpu temp stays down. also, what would it take to add a cpu temp script into linuxcnc. i realize it would not make it into the distro but i personally would like it. More so, im just looking for a place to start. also how does the startup script work? which files am i looking for if i wanted to add script to linuxcnc? I realize im jumping ahead with writing script when i don't fully understand file systems, (fatal error.due to my part. no seriously ive gotten that a dozen times) Im learning in the bash my head agaist the wall method we've all been through.
Thanks,
Jason
Last edit: 20 Dec 2015 13:19 by Razor_keen.

More
20 Dec 2015 13:42 #67168 by SvenH
Thanks for the replies guys, it clarifies stuff.

I might install an ubuntu version at some point, if debian bugs me for too long, but for now I'll carry on.

More
20 Dec 2015 15:32 #67172 by jepler

if there was an iso available to install a custom kernel and linuxcnc, im sure there is no copyright infringement, is there?

Here's what Ubuntu has to say about intellectual property:
www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/...tual-property-policy

Here is what I think is the important part of it for the purposes of your question:

Any redistribution of modified versions of Ubuntu must be approved, certified or provided by Canonical if you are going to associate it with the Trademarks. Otherwise you must remove and replace the Trademarks and will need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries. This does not affect your rights under any open source licence applicable to any of the components of Ubuntu. If you need us to approve, certify or provide modified versions for redistribution you will require a licence agreement from Canonical, for which you may be required to pay. For further information, please contact us (as set out below).

You specifically asked about copyright; the above paragraph is not about copyright, but rather about trademark. Copyright, patent, and trademark can all be used as legal tools to make redistributing software illegal. It is Canonical/Ubuntu's claim that under trademark law you cannot redistribute a modified version Ubuntu unless you meet the requirements of that paragraph.

Since I don't expect we would "be approved, certified or provided by Canonical .. for which you may be required to pay", we would have to "remove and replace the Trademarks and will need to recompile the source code to create your own binaries", a task that would involve going through the source code of each package in Ubuntu to find and remove any Ubuntu trademarks. Ubuntu/Canonical do not provide a list of such packages, let alone a list the trademarked files (e.g., artwork) inside those packages, this creates a lot of good old fashioned FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) when it comes to modifying and redistributing Ubuntu.

Right now we distribute essentially one modified Ubuntu package: the kernel itself, with realtime patches. Assuming for the moment that whoever did this did due diligence in checking that there were no Ubuntu trademarks in the kernel package, this meets their requirements as set out in the intellectual property document linked above.

But distributing a live or installable image (.iso) that includes a graphical desktop could involve thousands of packages (a server version of Ubuntu 14.04 that I could easily check had over 500 packages installed, and a linux mint install I had handy had over 2400). To play by Ubuntu/Canonical's rules, each one has to be reviewed for containing Ubuntu trademarks; and if they are in there the package has to be modified and rebuilt. You could lose a year of your life in that project, even if you can review and recompile six packages a day everyday.

(And this all leaves aside the question of patents; in the same document linked above, Ubuntu/Canonical say they have unspecified patents in unspecified packages that of course you may not use without their permission. The kernel package would in fact be a very likely place for patent-infringing code to be included. Ugh)

Ubuntu/Canonical have deliberately made it very hard to create distributions based on Ubuntu, and in my opinion it's evil, but it's a fact and I absolutely don't want to pick a fight with them over it.

More
20 Dec 2015 16:39 - 20 Dec 2015 16:41 #67175 by SvenH

and in my opinion it's evil

If my info on the history of canonical is correct, they saw an opportunity to implement linux for company use.
In doing so they realized that taking care of one complete set of software would reduce their effort on the work they had to do for the customers.

In doing so they gave an operating system to the world to use free of charge.

Maybe they would allow the linuxcnc free use of the trademarks if they were asked.
All in all, it may attract users to ubuntu, as it has done with me....
Last edit: 20 Dec 2015 16:41 by SvenH.

More
21 Dec 2015 09:09 #67193 by ArcEye

In doing so they gave an operating system to the world to use free of charge.

They actually took a free operating system, buggered about with it and then tried to brand it as their own intellectual property.

That is just the top of the slope that google went down years ago with android.

If you must have Ubuntu, just follow the wiki
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-s...etting-linuxcnc.html

More
21 Dec 2015 21:10 #67221 by Razor_keen
I meant an ISO to install linuxcnc on a preexisting OS. As in, not making a new distribution, just a way to easily install linuxcnc and a custom kernel quickly and easily.

More
23 Dec 2015 01:36 - 23 Dec 2015 01:59 #67252 by tjmarch
To all concerned I have made a request to Canonical to make this ISO public on the Linuxcnc.org web site this was my request.

I have made a ISO to install Linuxcnc software it contains Deb files that I created and packages downloaded from Canonical IP to be used on a pre-installed operating system of Ubuntu 14.04 or Linux Mint 17. The install process of Linuxcnc only will take about 5 minutes. The ISO image must be mounted then a script file is run to install the needed packages that are contained in the image. If any packages that are still needed for the install due to flavor differences will download from Canonical Trusty repo. I am requesting permission to make this ISO public and for no personal gain on the Linuxcnc.org web site. ISO image will be free of charge and no gain for Linuxcnc.org.

If I have over stepped my bounds please let me know

Tim March
Last edit: 23 Dec 2015 01:59 by tjmarch.

More
24 Dec 2015 20:28 #67299 by lincamx
What a waste of time, I am pleased that they went debian and not an off shoot of it.
For the most part all distro's work the same, If you know one it should not be hard to pickup on another with the help of the distro forum and google.

Good luck and have fun.

More
26 Dec 2015 05:45 #67331 by cmorley
My major complaint comes down to paper cuts and included libraries.
little things like input focus don't work correctly in Wheezy and I relied on some libraries (eg onboard keyboard)
that is not in Wheezy. Like them or not Ubuntu 's package was well polished and rounded.
And I am using my computer for more then just cnc so that was important to me.
And anything that makes a casual user's life easier is a good thing for linuxcnc

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds