Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: raspberry)

11 Oct 2023 17:07

Notes from installation of ethercat on Raspberry Pi 4

Category: EtherCAT

The video looks great! Can you let me know please what components you use in set-up: motors, drivers, motion cards, etc. I have servo motors with Ethercat. Can you recommend a motion card that may work?
Thank you!
11 Oct 2023 14:54

Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

Category: Computers and OS's

Hey, Scott (or any volunteer)!

Have you had the time to look at my config files that are causing the following errors? I use the remora-nvem-basic config from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/LinuxCNC, also attached to this message.
Hi, I've had a look at your config files and they are identical to mine, and I can run with a 1000% feed override without following errors....

Now I'm really scratching my head to understand what could be going on. Do you have the serial debug output connected? It would be interesting to see if there are any issues on the board.

Let me explain exactly what I have done. Maybe you can spot something that I've done wrong.
- Full chip erase on NVEM using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Flash NVEM with Remora-NVEM-STM32-1.0.0.bin from github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tree/main/Firmware using STM32 ST-LINK Utility
- Install Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) 32 bit
- Install LinuxCNC and realtime Kernel according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...es/remora-nvem-basic to /home/pi/linuxcnc/configs
- Copy github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...Components/Remora-nv to /home/pi/linuxcnc/components
- Install remora-nv component using
sudo halcompile --install remora-nv.c
- Install pyocd using
pip3 install pyocd
- Write config to NVEM using
python3 upload_config.py config.txt

And that's it I think. Can you spot anything I might have done wrong?

I do not have the serial debug output connected, but I can do that if there is a guide I can follow. Do you happen to have one?

Ping response times are longer than I'm getting though, averaging around 0.17ms. Do you have a router in between the NVEM and computer?

No router. 2 meter cable directly from the Pi to the NVEM. Is the response time high enough to cause these errors you think?
11 Oct 2023 12:50

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Category: Installing LinuxCNC

Glad you like it. The changes don't really affect the user. Originally, we built Linuxcnc master branch to get the gpio driver. But that was pushed back into 2.9 branch so that is what we build now as that will be released in the very short term.

Then there was an upgrade to the raspberry kernel which we incorporated. That is meaningless to the user.

Hopefully, the next version will be on the linuxcnc downloads page!
11 Oct 2023 11:51

Debian 12 - 2.10 master branch image for the Raspberry Pi 4b/400

Been running this on the bench and it's working fine. Thanks.

My only comment is that I can't see any release notes to see what has changed between the versions.

10 Oct 2023 12:57

Machine Limits not showing in Linuxcnc 2.8.4

Category: AXIS

Hi,
I have the same problem with Linuxcnc 2.8.4 not showing the machine limits. I have also installed a Raspberry Pi and the problem does not exist there. No solution found, so I reinstalled Linuxcnc 2.7.14.
10 Oct 2023 10:27 - 10 Oct 2023 13:09

LinuxCNC + Orange Pi (allwincnc)

[code]I hope to get some guidance on the issue regarding the ARISC driver.

I am currently adapting a new development board, which is similar to the Raspberry Pi and Orange Pi. I am not quite sure how to configure some of the settings in the `api.h` file. Where should I obtain these configuration details from in the chip's manual?

[code][code][code]#ifndef _API_H
#define _API_H

#define ARISC_CPU_FREQ          450000000 // Hz
#define ARISC_FW_BASE           (0x00040000) // for ARM CPU it's 0x00040000
#define ARISC_FW_SIZE           ((8+8+32)*1024)
#define ARISC_SHM_SIZE          (4096)
#define ARISC_SHM_BASE          (ARISC_FW_BASE + ARISC_FW_SIZE - ARISC_SHM_SIZE)
#define GPIO_BASE               0x01c20800
#define GPIO_R_BASE             0x01f02c00
#define GPIO_BANK_SIZE          0x24

#define GPIO_PORTS_MAX_CNT      8
#define GPIO_PINS_MAX_CNT       24
#define PWM_CH_MAX_CNT 16
#define PWM_WASTED_TICKS (160/2) // number of ARISC ticks wasted for calculations

static inline
void shmem_deinit(void)
{
    munmap(_shm_vrt_addr, ARISC_SHM_SIZE);
    munmap(_gpio_vrt_addr, 4096);
    munmap(_r_gpio_vrt_addr, 4096);
}

#endif

Are there any additional configuration changes needed apart from the ones mentioned above?

Thank you for your help.

06 Oct 2023 03:10

Getting an error when using gmoccapy.

I temporarily resolved this issue, which was caused by a configuration file error. Now, I'm facing a new problem with my development board, which has an interface similar to the Raspberry Pi's 40-pin GPIO header. I noticed the Orange Pi project from allwincnc, where they use ARISC drivers to control the 40-pin GPIO pins. However, I couldn't find any relevant usage documentation in the LinuxCNC documentation. Could you provide me with some guidance?Here is the definition of the 40-pin interface on my development board:

05 Oct 2023 22:16

Following my resent failures this is what I've done and where I am at now:

- Flashed the NVEM with the Remora firmware
- Installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy), so Buster 32 bit
- Installed xrdp to enable Remote Desktop
- Followed the guide to install LinuxCNC at remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sof...nc-installation.html, but since I had issues with the Pi not booting after installing the realtime kernel, I instead installed 5.15.65-rt49 according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi.
- Installed the Remora NVEM component
- Followed Scott's videos to configure ethernet
- Flashed the basic config to the NVEM

- I am able to ping the NVEM at 10.10.10.10
- I am able to start LinuxCNC and get out of emergency stop
- I am not able to request movement. If I do, I get "joint [0-2] following error"

I really wan't to move on and reinstall the NVEM in my CNC and continue with configuring LinuxCNC, but I'm stuck with this error.
Scott, help!

Hi, I've just put the STM32 NVEM back on the bench to retest. I could simulate your error when using the remora-eth component. With the latest firmware

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/blo...NVEM-STM32-1.0.0.bin

And this config

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-NVEM/tre...es/remora-nvem-basic

Everything is ok.

A full chip erase can be performed in the ST-Link Utility.
05 Oct 2023 18:58

- Followed the guide to install LinuxCNC at remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sof...nc-installation.html, but since I had issues with the Pi not booting after installing the realtime kernel, I instead installed 5.15.65-rt49 according to forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-raspberry-pi-3b-pi.

- I am not able to request movement. If I do, I get "joint [0-2] following error"

I really wan't to move on and reinstall the NVEM in my CNC and continue with configuring LinuxCNC, but I'm stuck with this error.
Scott, help!

​​​​I had the same problems until I did a full erase of the chip before reflashing the board.  Try that. I'm on mobile and don't remember the command exactly but do "pyocd -h" in a terminal and you will get the idea. Then reflash the board. 

Might not solve your problems but worth a try
05 Oct 2023 18:51

Scott, help!
04 Oct 2023 19:47

I just wrote a long message, that for whatever reason disappeared, so I'm going to make this short.

I'm starting over with a fresh install. I first installed Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) on my Pi 4b 4 Gb.
I then installed xrdp to be able to use the Pi headless, instead of the steps mentioned in the Remora documentation to enable VNC.
After that I followed the steps to install LinuxCNC until step 8, where you install the realtime kernel. At the end of the install I get the errors
Unpacking linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ (4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+_4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/boot/bcm2708-rpi-b-plus.dtb', which is also in package raspberrypi-kernel 1:1.20230509~buster-1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-4.19.71-rt24-v7l+_4.19.71-rt24-v7l+-4_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

And after I try to reboot the Pi, it will not boot any more. I have tried twice with the same results.
Have I done something apparently wrong and/or does anyone know how I can fix this?

Kind regards,
Christian
04 Oct 2023 09:25
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

Congrats on all your hard work Rod.

Thanks,

Actually just had a thought, if there was any Pi ethercat users here, maybe they could fork my ethercat driver and build the deb on a pi
github.com/rodw-au/linuxcnc-ethercat

If you could share the deb with me, I might be able to put it up on packagecloud.io and I could add the ethercat  repos to the build like I have done with the AMD64 installer.
04 Oct 2023 08:56

Congrats on all your hard work Rod.
04 Oct 2023 08:15
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

I think there was a time when the 8 gb didn't work but getting a 64 bit kernel operational has solved that.
However, on the flip side, Memory usage by linuxcnc is well under 4 Gb.
I think when the Pi5 surfaces, the builder Cornholio and I have built should transfer to it OK as we are using the genuine Raspberry kernel code. One would expect that it will support the Pi 5, hopefully by changing one variable being the board we are building for.
The good news is that our builder has been forked by Linucnc and will become the official Pi image builder when 2.9 is released shortly.
github.com/LinuxCNC/rpi-img-builder-lcnc
03 Oct 2023 23:14

Realtime is fine with 64 bit, Rodw and myself have been working on and released images for the RPi 4.
In Australia the 8gb model is only $30 more than the 4gb model, so it's kind of a no-brainer which one to go for. Add the extra 600Mhz per core, the RPi 400 have 1.8Ghz cores, and the faster SD card access life should be good.
Displaying 721 - 735 out of 967 results.
Time to create page: 1.508 seconds