XZ lathe + C axis: gmoccapy crashes

More
08 Jan 2016 14:07 - 08 Jan 2016 14:08 #68063 by DaBit
Not sure if this is a stupid user error or gmoccapy bug..

I am currently converting a small lathe to CNC, and the spindle motor will be a servo motor capable of positioning as well.
This means that I get a C-axis to do indexing on the main spindle for free. Very handy for cross-drilling a few holes.

Now, in AXIS this works (
).
In gmoccapy it doesn't....

This is a sim config on a fresh install. The configuration chosen was sim.gmoccapy/gmoccapy_lathe.ini
Unmodified, this works (duh..)

But when I change:
[TRAJ]
AXES = 3
COORDINATES = X Z

to
[TRAJ]
AXES = 6
COORDINATES = X Z C

and add an [AXIS_5] section with an angular axis, I get the behaviour shown in the screenshot.
(If I do not add an [AXIS_5] section, it still chashes on startup)
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 14:08 by DaBit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 23:27 #68083 by newbynobi
Gmoccapy lathe is suposed to work only with x and z axis. I do know allready why it crashes. Let me see, if there is a way to make it work.

If you use xyzc it should work, just let Y with scale =0

Norbert

More
09 Jan 2016 07:36 #68109 by DaBit
Ran a quick test and replaced the COORDINATES/AXES lines with XYZC and 6 axes in sim.gmoccapy/gmoccapy_lathe.ini.
The Y axis does not display (I am seeing R/D, Z, C, which is what I want), so this seems to be a perfectly acceptable workaround.

More
10 Jan 2016 22:47 - 10 Jan 2016 22:48 #68164 by DaBit
XYZC works like a charm on the 'real' machine too. I only wonder how I would display a real Y axis if I had one?

youtube.com/watch?v=Bd3Oc2ZqmbQ

My first lathe part ever. Happy, happy, thanks to gmoccapy and LinuxCNC. :laugh:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2016 22:48 by DaBit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: twender

More
11 Jan 2016 19:39 - 11 Jan 2016 19:39 #68194 by newbynobi
Hallo DaBit,

just wait a few weeks, as I am preparing gmoccapy 2.0 as a 5 axis version B)

As you discovered a bug, I have to solve that one and two others and after that I will announce the new features.
Just be patient.

Norbert
Last edit: 11 Jan 2016 19:39 by newbynobi.

More
11 Jan 2016 19:54 #68195 by DaBit
Norbert,

No problem, it works fine at this moment and there is a heap of other work left to do. Just ordered a Pokeys56U board to feed gmoccapy external encoders and buttons.

If you need me to test something, let me know. Currently running 2.7.3 because master has no features I desperately need, but no problem compiling a RIP install when needed.

More
25 Jan 2022 14:52 #233075 by HalaszAttila
Hello,

i work on retrofit of X-Z + Y axis lathe (swiss type lathe). Y axis i parallel with Z axis and moves the hydraulic chuck (lünette function).
I use 2.7.15 with gmoccapy. I setted up the Y axis positioning, i can use axis, but when i jog the Y axis, it can jog over software limits, and hit the end switch.
In MDI i CAN'T send Y over softlim, i get alarm and moving is not executed.
Jog button is controlled by halui.jog.1.minus /plus signals.

There is a connection between that gmoccapy not supports Y axis, and jogging axis over softlimit?
X and Z axis jogging works ok.

More
25 Jan 2022 15:14 #233078 by newbynobi
Y-axis can not be parallel with Z axis!
Parallel to Z can be a W axis.

If you can jog over the limits and hit that way the end switch, your himing or limit is not set correct. Do you home the related axis prior to jogging?

Gmoccapy should support XZCW config. May be you should not set Lathe = 1 in your INI.

Norbert

More
27 Jan 2022 08:23 - 27 Jan 2022 08:25 #233261 by HalaszAttila
Hello,
thanks for quick answer. I set LATHE = 0; and then the Y jogging is correct (that means min_limit / max_limit / homing setup is correct). The axis is stops on softlimit, and i cant jog over them (niether with button, or MPG).
It seems to be something if LATHE = 1. What you think if I set W axis instead of Y, something changed?
I dont know this side of linuxcnc source code. I checked a gmoccapy.py file, what happens if LATHE=1, i found swapping / removing jog buttons / DRO etc.
If I modify this file, to activate Y axis jogging buttons, maybe change something?
Or some other file? (i use halui.jog.1.minus / plus pins)

Just need to Y jog works like on LATHE=0 mode.
In program mode, when executing G code, the soft limit is working on Y axis. (show error messages if i program axis over softlimit).

It is little complicated 4 channel lathe. And would be good to use Y axis for moving the chuck.
Video

photos.app.goo.gl/Thk3apEb6d1hLz1aA

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2022 08:25 by HalaszAttila.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds