Ignore-limits checkbox

More
10 Apr 2016 18:23 - 10 Apr 2016 18:27 #73060 by auto-mation-assist
For years I have had a a function programed in a separate FPGA board for my gantry mill to drive any axis out of limits automatically at the push of a single mechanical button on the manual control panel of the machine. It has been a very handy function. Just hold the momentary mechanical button in for a second or two and its done.

I have programmed my hal file and postgui file for my knee mill to do the same thing but the "ignore-limits" check box is a problem since don't know a way to automatically place a check mark in its box when the automated drive out of limit function is activated and remove the check mark when out of limits. This prevents the machine from being allowed to turn back on while in a limit condition. I assume that there is a way to have a check mark placed in the box under program control and wonder if anyone has a idea on how to do that. Since the "ignore-limits" check box does not show itself as a pin anywhere I'm thinking that it may need to be done with a python script but not sure.

The actual Axis movement to drive any axis out of limits is very small and there is no need to do that at a high jog rate and thus I would also like to be able to set the jog rate to a slow value when the axis are being driven out of limits and perhaps restore it back to the original value when movement is completed.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2016 18:27 by auto-mation-assist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2016 14:36 #73106 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Ignore-limits checkbox
If your push-button simply masks the axis limits then there would be no need for the checkbox.
In fact, you can do all this in HAL, no need for any other hardware but the button. Just mask the axis limit switch inputs with HAL logic.

More
11 Apr 2016 20:39 - 11 Apr 2016 20:44 #73132 by auto-mation-assist
The manual drive out of limits push button on the machines manual control panel uses the signal from the combined inputs from all ten limit switches to allow it to activate. At the point where each individual axis has its positive and negative limit inputs there is a and2 gate of each which is enabled by the signal from the manual push button and a positive or negative limit switch being active. The output of any and2 gate is configured to automatically select the proper jog direction to drive a axis in the proper direction to get out of limits. If multiple axis are in limits such as X and Z then both should drive out of limits automatically when the manual switch is pushed. Once the combined limits signal clears the manual button is automatically disabled and all movement on any axis is done.

If gmoccapy had a pin to control the ignore-limits check box or its output that would be great. As is I may attempt to modify the gui which would make getting updates a lot more difficult. The Glade editor installed on the computer is complaining about the catalog for Gladevcp cannot be found and I have no idea as to where or what it is really looking for. Due to that I cannot learn much about what is required to make this minor change.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2016 20:44 by auto-mation-assist.

More
12 Apr 2016 21:11 #73197 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Ignore-limits checkbox
What OS and linuxcnc version are you using?
Are you able to program a python script to check the box?

If you are on a limit swith, the machine should switch of and the checkbox will get active.
Imho it is not chechable if you no limit switch is active.

Norbert

More
13 Apr 2016 04:07 #73210 by auto-mation-assist
I'm running Debian 8 and linuxcnc is 2.7.0. with gmoccapy 5 axis.

I think I could program a python scrip but I have not done any python programming for over 10 years so it may be a little difficult for me.

Yes the the check box is only active when in limits and the machine shuts down when a limit switch activates.

More
14 Apr 2016 06:51 - 14 Apr 2016 06:54 #73275 by newbynobi
Replied by newbynobi on topic Ignore-limits checkbox
For glade installation see here

After that inform, as he did not include all widgets, so you will have to copy some more files.

For the checkbox, see the file /usr/bin/gmoccapy

for
def on_chk_ignore_limits_toggled( self, widget, data = None ):
herein the self.command.override_limits() set the linuxcnc function

The widget itself can be set sensitive with
self.widgets.chk_ignore_limits.set_sensitive( True )

If you search in gmoccapy file, you find several places where the state does change.
If you change all False settings to True the state does not change any more.

To create new hal pin, look at:
def _init_hal_pins( self ):

There you can add a new hal pin and with a additional handler you can do what ever you want B)

hope this helps.

IMHO a pure hal solution is much easier. Just disconnect the limit switches and reconnect them later.
It should be possible also to change the axis limits from hal side, but I am not sure of this. From python it is possible to changes the limits.

Norbert
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 06:54 by newbynobi.

More
16 Apr 2016 05:32 #73390 by auto-mation-assist
Norbert the info you supplied will help me a lot in figuring out how I can best trigger the check box on and off.

glade-gtk2 is giving me some errors that appear to indicate search path errors for a gladegnome library and icons along with widgets. I will need to figure out how to fix those errors before I can look and learn a little more about the gmoccappy gui front panel. I will work on resolving those errors as time allows.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds