Gmoccapy; touchscreen, no mouse

More
26 Jun 2016 21:49 - 26 Jun 2016 21:49 #76686 by todmorg
I have a few observations on using Gmoccapy with a touchscreen and no mouse-

1- The buttons that toggle colors ( M1 for example) do not change colors until another button is pushed. I understand that the buttons are waiting for a release signal like a mouse would give, but this can be very confusing. Could there be a small simulated LED near the buttons to show their state?

2- Using a touch screen, you do not get the little help buttons that explain what a button's function is. I was trying to help a friend with Gmoccapy over the phone and it was very hard to explain which buttons to push. We were using phrases like "Push the button that looks like a black square with a bunch of red, green and yellow arrows in it". It would have been way easier to say, "Push the JOG button". I am not a fan of universal symbols, especially on CNC machines. Is there a way to just show words instead of symbols on the buttons?

3- The virtual keyboard function does not work, any tips on getting it working?

4- What is the button that looks like a grayed out file folder with a guy standing in front of it (universal symbols again)?

Todd
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 21:49 by todmorg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2016 11:01 #76960 by ttontsa
3. virtual keyboard is not pre installed in linux. why not..

install matchbox-keyboard with package manager.There might be some difficulties if u like to get some odd language key layout finnish, swedish..

More
04 Jul 2016 20:58 - 04 Jul 2016 21:00 #76992 by newbynobi

1- The buttons that toggle colors ( M1 for example) do not change colors until another button is pushed. I understand that the buttons are waiting for a release signal like a mouse would give, but this can be very confusing. Could there be a small simulated LED near the buttons to show their state?

it is not the release signal, it is the hover over signal, I already spend several nights over that and I did not find a solution. If you like, you can assist me ;) as I am out to solve that. Sorry!

2- Using a touch screen, you do not get the little help buttons that explain what a button's function is. I was trying to help a friend with Gmoccapy over the phone and it was very hard to explain which buttons to push. We were using phrases like "Push the button that looks like a black square with a bunch of red, green and yellow arrows in it". It would have been way easier to say, "Push the JOG button". I am not a fan of universal symbols, especially on CNC machines. Is there a way to just show words instead of symbols on the buttons?

you are right, the "quick tip labels" will not show up without mouse. I was thinking about writing documentation, explaining the meaning of every button, but I am short of time. Would you mind doing that? A you tube video or just any kind of documentation. I will be glad to format that one in a way, so it can be included in the normal docu.
If you want to use just text, just open the glade file with glade editor(attention, must be glade.gtk2!) and edit thhe buttons to fit your needs. I have no plans to make that an option. At the moment I am working on a 5 axis version with speedcontrol touchscreen sliders supporting the Joint Axis branch. There is a lot to do, so any help is wellcome.

3. virtual keyboard is not pre installed in linux. why not..
install matchbox-keyboard with package manager.There might be some difficulties if u like to get some odd language key layout finnish, swedish..

IMHO that is documented in the official docu! If you need a special layout, you need to add a folder .matchbox-keyboard in your home directory and place a file named keyboard.xml in there. That file does contain the layout. I made a special one for German, but I am not at home, so all the mentioned info is out of my drunken brain :P ;)

4- What is the button that looks like a grayed out file folder with a guy standing in front of it (universal symbols again)?

That one do open the user tabs. It is grayed out if no user tab is configured in the ini file. The documentation for details. Also my You Tube videos might help.

Norbert
Last edit: 04 Jul 2016 21:00 by newbynobi. Reason: bad layout

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds