[SOLVED] AXIS-to-Gmoccapy(-and-back-again) Steps to take (LinuxCNC 2.7)

More
30 Sep 2017 16:45 #99689 by clunc
Hello,

I am trying to try out Gmoccapy with all of my several-years' experience with LinuxCNC solely using the AXIS GUI.

I am running "LINUXCNC - 2.7.11-24-ge65267599" in "Ubuntu 14.04 LTS" to control an XYZ router.

I've been using Lncnc long enough now (4-5 years) that I've forgotten all the details about how I configured it. It works fine with AXIS, but I'd like to try Gmoccapy.

Finding somewhere online that "from LinuxCNC 2.6" gmoccapy is included, I took the naive approach of copying:
~/linuxcnc/configs/mymachine.axis.ini to .../mymachine.gmoccapy.ini and chose the latter from an interactive linuxcnc session.

Beforehand, in the new INI file, I (variously from instructions and error messages):
* changed [DISPLAY] DISPLAY = gmoccapy
* added [DISPLAY] CYCLE_TIME = 150
* added [DISPLAY] PREFERENCE_FILE_PATH = qd1212.gmoccapy.pref (and let gmoccapy create it)
* added [DISPLAY] DEFAULT_SPINDLE_SPEED = 12000

But while it displays briefly, linuxcnc exits shortly thereafter with complaints about "custom_postgui.hal".

After some back-and-forths and puzzlements, I recalled that I had had to incorporate some "custom" files in order to add a display of spindle speed to the AXIS GUI. It seemed reasonable that Gmoccapy might object to customizations aimed at AXIS, esp. as regards a display it already features.

After I:
* commented out [HAL] #HALFILE = custom.hal
* commented out [HAL] #POSTGUI_HALFILE = custom_postgui.hal
(undoubtedly inserted from dutifully following instructions years ago)

LinuxCNC ran the gmoccapy instance fine.

(BTW, I notice that the Alt-Tab icon for Lncnc w/gmoccapy features brightly colored initials "NS", suggesting, from what I've seen just recently "nieson" or "Norbert Schechner", but could be "No Sweat" too I guess. Thank you nieson for a sweet interface that's apparently seasoning quite gracefully.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2017 18:02 #99696 by newbynobi
@clunc,

thanks for the compliment;-)
Yes, the NS Logo represents my Surname and Name.

If you need help to incorporate any part of your config, feel free to ask.

Norbert

More
02 Jan 2018 05:15 #103943 by persei8
Hi Norbert. I would like to take you up on your offer. I am running Linuxcnc 2.7.11 on Debian Stretch. When starting linuxcnc with gmoccapy UI, an error box pops up. I can see the gmoccapy screen but when I close the error box, linuxcnc exits. BTW, this is over SSH with X11 forwarding enabled. Here is the terminal dialog.
LINUXCNC - 2.7.11
Machine configuration directory is '/home/jim/linuxcnc/configs/SilverDragon'
Machine configuration file is 'SilverDragon.ini'
Starting LinuxCNC...
Found file(REL): ./SilverDragon.hal
Note: Using POSIX realtime
config string '0 out'
**** GMOCCAPY GETINIINFO ****
Preference file path: /home/jim/linuxcnc/configs/SilverDragon/SilverDragon.pref
[]
**** GMOCCAPY INFO ****
**** gmoccapy screen 2 found ****

**** GMOCCAPY INFO ****
**** audio available! ****
**** GMOCCAPY INFO ****
**** No virtual keyboard installed, we checked for <onboard> and <matchbox-keyboard>.
/usr/bin/gladevcp:185: GtkWarning: Could not load image 'icon/Logo.png': Failed to open file '/home/jim/linuxcnc/configs/SilverDragon/icon/Logo.png': No such file or directory
builder.add_from_file(xmlname)
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
task: 62952 cycles, min=0.000024, max=0.071417, avg=0.010110, 0 latency excursions (> 10x expected cycle time of 0.010000s)
Note: Using POSIX realtime
LinuxCNC terminated with an error. You can find more information in the log:
/home/jim/linuxcnc_debug.txt
and
/home/jim/linuxcnc_print.txt
as well as in the output of the shell command 'dmesg' and in the terminal

And I attached the error box. I also commented out the lines as per the previous poster.
I hope you can point me in the right direction to start looking for a solution. Thank you.
Attachments:

More
02 Jan 2018 21:42 - 02 Jan 2018 21:44 #103965 by newbynobi
Imho
'/home/jim/linuxcnc/configs/SilverDragon/icon/Logo.png': No such file or directory

Is the relevant error, the python exception is a follow upnerror, I hope!

What are you trying to do with the Logo file?
If you want to replace my logo, you have to do that replacing the original logo in /usr/share/gmoccapy/images

All out of memory, as i am not on my PC.

Norbert

P.s. for detailed help, please post your config folder
Last edit: 02 Jan 2018 21:44 by newbynobi.

More
03 Jan 2018 04:26 #103977 by persei8
Hi Norbert, thanks for your reply. I am not trying to do anything with the logo. I checked /usr/share/gmoccapy/images and it is there. It has warmed up a bit here so I went to the garage and ran linuxcnc locally and it loaded and ran so much of my problem must be related to running remotely over SSH. Anyway, I have linuxcnc 2.7.11 but it has gmoccapy 1.5.8. The original install was from linuxcnc-stretch-uspace--386-r9.iso. To get the latest gmoccapy, do I need to compile the whole installation from source or is there some way to update it? Thanks again.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds