Gmoccapy and Stretch Preempt RT..... :(

More
19 May 2018 02:30 #110871 by Lcvette
Hey all,

I am fairly new to linuxcnc so many things go over my head and I'm slowly learning my way around as i go. I bit off a bit more than i can chew and of course selecting a 7i92 board was very helpful physically with wire routing and component placement but has been very difficult in the way of software setup and configuring.

My issue I have been facing is with a configuration setup from a friend who has an identical machine but who is running a 5i25/7i77/7i76 where i am running a 7i92/7i77/7i76. the preempt rt kernel in stretch has thrown in some curve balls that made what should have been a pretty much plug and play setup a bit of a nightmare for a beginner to linux and linuxcnc.

i managed to get all of my basic configuring completed and adjusted with alot of reading and help from forum members and IRC late night and long day chats and many pastebin posts. and as of now it seems that most of the issues i can resolve are fixed and it is down to a more in depth level of troubleshooting i no longer have the skill set to handle and many others are even shying away from due to lack of experience with the stretch platform, gmoccapy GUI or combination of the two.

so I am here in hopes that some of you may have confronted these issues and found a resolution or if not could possibly help me find one and maybe those who come after who may encounter the same problems.

to start i have made a basic config using axis to ensure my system does work and my wiring is correct and working and it is and it does. so the system is working correctly and so is the mesa setup. the files i received are known good and in use on the debian wheezy rtai kernel download version of linuxcnc and created by a talented but still learning user. the machine is a VMC with 12 tool carousel ATC, servos and servo spindle. servos are run in pulse mode but encoders report the index pulse for accurate homing. I have corrected the INI nd HAL files for the 7i92 ethernet board, but am having some trouble with some python files, ngc files and gladevcp files either not being found, not able to be opened or a combination of both? a link to the pastebin latest debug report below along with my current HAL and INI file. I can also provide any other files. I am just ready to get this resolved and get this machine running with eveyrthing! but not certain how to go about doing it. Fair warning I require a bit of patience and i need explanaitions beyond what a veteran linux user might althought im starting to get the hang of a few things and it is getting better with each passing day.

Any help you all can provide in resolving this is greatly appreciated!

PS, in Stretch, there is NO gmoccapy in the PNCConfig to make a basic config with or i would have done that as a test first. i did run into a few issues with the sims not wanting to open but cmorley helped with a player.py file that seemed to have solved the major issue but a few file path issues still remain. the file paths in my folders have been verified but i am happy to move things around at your request if you think it will help!

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Debug: pastebin.com/RDCKUyE7

Hal: pastebin.com/u7J0mhSW

INI: pastebin.com/Vuq2QzS6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2018 21:01 #110934 by andypugh
There is a file that it can't find, but it is not saying which one.

My first guess would be one of the HAL files or the toplevel.py

Maybe comment-out those, see if the problem goes away, then bring them back one by one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lcvette

More
22 May 2018 00:20 #111003 by Lcvette

There is a file that it can't find, but it is not saying which one.

My first guess would be one of the HAL files or the toplevel.py

Maybe comment-out those, see if the problem goes away, then bring them back one by one.

i resolved the issue with Tommylight's assistance, (big shout out to him for the hours of help!! can't tell you how much I appreciate it!) i sent him my whole file folder and he noticed some of the .ngc files had a xxx.ngc~ on the end of them.. apparantly my buddy decided to review the contents in notepad++ on his windows machine prior to sending them over to make sure everything was ok. well those files showed up in the windows folder but did not transfer in on the linux side of things. i went in and unlblocked each folder on the windows machine and renamed them and they came through and then i started getting gmoccapy to open and was able to begin debugging item by item until things were resolved and managable! wooo whooo! man i would have looked forever had Tommy not caught that.

Thank you also Andy for your input! much appreciated!

Chris

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds