Run From Line

More
03 Sep 2018 17:05 #117018 by islander261
Run From Line was created by islander261
Hello

I am having a problem that is probably of my own making. I am using Gmoccapy to run my plasma table. As with most things plasma there are various gotchas that stop the process in mid cut. I have tried to use the run from line button when the cut process has stopped due to an error and the machine is paused. I have not been able to select a new line to run from in the Gcode preview or get the run from line select dialog box to popup. So with the machine paused is there any way to select a new line (block) for it to restart?

When the machine is stopped I can get the run from line select dialog box to popup. The Gcode will start running from the selected line(block) when I press the run button. The problem I have at this point is that it seems that it just jumps to the line and doesn't keep track of all the intermediate modal commands on the way. I understand that this may be the intended function from all the warnings about trying to use the run from line function.

My present solution to this problem is to just stop the machine and hand edit the Gcode file so that it is in the correct modal state when it is restarted and it gets to the desired starting line (block). This works reliably but is a PITA when working on a large sheet of material with maybe 20k lines(blocks) of code excluding subroutines (which even my old commercial controller couldn't handle well all the time).

Is there a better way to do this when using Gmoccapy?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 21:54 #117028 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Run From Line
Just in case you missed it:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...estart-at-line-25010
Not sure it is exactly what you need, and i used gmoccapy just for testing purposes without a machine.

More
03 Sep 2018 23:12 #117035 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Run From Line

Hello

The problem I have at this point is that it seems that it just jumps to the line and doesn't keep track of all the intermediate modal commands on the way. I understand that this may be the intended function from all the warnings about trying to use the run from line function.
John

This is a short coming of linuxcnc.
You may be able to set the modal modes in MDI then restart.

Chris M

More
04 Sep 2018 02:40 #117040 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Run From Line
Thanks guys

I actually tried out Grotius's method the other day on a test piece that I intentionally created a torch crash on, it didn't work with Gmoccapy, no response to the right click and actually before that no scrolling of the Gcode preview.

I will have to test out using MDI blocks to set the correct modal state of the machine, I had thought that most of the modal states were cleared when starting in auto mode. Not a surprise that I didn't correctly understand how how the manual to auto mode transition works.

It is looking like I have already found the most reliable method for having to cope with a run from line situation in Gmoccapy. I am seriously looking at moving to Gscreen after studying a commercial implementation that uses it. At least it has an open source Gcode preview that you can back up to an arbitrary restarting point in ( of course if you pick the wrong start point you are in a modal disaster). This is all way above my skill level.

John

John

More
04 Sep 2018 19:45 #117070 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Run From Line
@John,

In the grotius plasma gui, you can disable torch height control, thc. Then the torch is always at travelheight. So restart at certain line is easy without the risk of collision's. When machine is moving to start point, you can enable thc and machine will start like normal.

Chris is always helpfull with difficult item's. He is the master of the python code behind gscreen. I think he Norbert is a student
of Mr. Morley. He borrow's line's of code. That's the way Mr. Rodw should name it. :whistle: I borrow all lines of code because
my python is very limited. C language is better for me at this moment.

For plasma solution's you could try the grotius code. But for Mesa you only need to do your hal config.

Soon i try to make a iso install cd for 32 and 64 bit debian pre configured with grotius gui. Help to make the procedure mapped is welcome.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds