How to get M-Code Status in HAL

More
21 Nov 2018 20:28 #121171 by sevaz
Hello! I really want to know is there any way to get the status of modal commands, like M5, G21, G40,M9 and so forth. I would like to replace Gcode panel with LED one, which would show only necessary parameters. Is it possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2018 22:23 #121181 by cmorley
Yes and no.
You can use python to read the M and g codes and use that data for what ever you want. GladeVCP would be a good choice for this.

But unfortunately it reads the state of the interpreter which can be far ahead of the actual running gcode.

There has been effort to fix this problem (a branch called state-tags) but it is relatively far away from being incorporated.

Chris M
The following user(s) said Thank You: sevaz

More
21 Nov 2018 22:58 #121185 by Todd Zuercher
In other words yes there is supposed to be a way, but no you can't really use it for anything useful because it is currently broken (and has been since the introduction of the new tool planner.)

More
21 Nov 2018 23:05 #121186 by cmorley
actually the new trajectory planer didn't break this, it always been this way.

Chris M

More
22 Nov 2018 18:15 #121227 by Todd Zuercher
With the old planner I thought it was only 1 line ahead rather than all the way to the end.

More
22 Nov 2018 19:43 #121230 by rodw

There has been effort to fix this problem (a branch called state-tags) but it is relatively far away from being incorporated.

I know I shouldn't complain as we are all volunteers but I find it frustrating when valuable branches like this and reverse run seem to get right through ready to be merged into master branch but then languish in limbo for such a long time (sometimes 3 years or more) that the code base moves so far ahead of them they become broken and its a major work to merge them. The original author is not likely to be motivated to redo his work after his first experience.

More
22 Nov 2018 21:58 #121238 by cmorley

With the old planner I thought it was only 1 line ahead rather than all the way to the end.

yes that is true. but either way the interpreter makes a large list of commands it has pre-planned - faster then the machine can run them usually.

Trajectory planning look-head describes the amount of lines ahead (usually ahead of the currently running line) it considers when planning. It improves quality of movement of course.

The Interpreter list is just a place for the planner to keep those pre-planned moves.

Chris M

More
22 Nov 2018 22:04 #121239 by cmorley

I know I shouldn't complain as we are all volunteers but I find it frustrating when valuable branches like this and reverse run seem to get right through ready to be merged into master branch but then languish in limbo for such a long time (sometimes 3 years or more) that the code base moves so far ahead of them they become broken and its a major work to merge them. The original author is not likely to be motivated to redo his work after his first experience.

Yes it's an on going problem (and a underlying reason why machinekit was forked).
I believe it's a combination of things (my off the cuff opinion):
because of a lack of people to do merging.
The maybe-too-restrictive of keeping master basically usable as production on a machine at all times.
Not pushing master out more regularly.

Which really comes down to the first reason :)

Chris M

More
22 Nov 2018 22:41 #121241 by newbynobi
Sorry Guys,

but you are getting off topic! The merge etc does not belong to gmoccapy!!
But you are right and wrong! If you are interested in thre merge of a branch, test it!!! And report about the results, so it will be merged! Do not shout on developers if you do not participate.

You are right in the meaning of master, Imho we shouild have three main branches, stable, master and development.

Pardon for the open words.

Norbert

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds