M3/M4 work from gmoccapy spindle icons, but not as MDI orembedded Gcode commands

More
15 Sep 2019 19:12 #145279 by kborsum
Hi
Another weird thing just happened....after working fine for a couple of weeks, MDI commands and Gcode programs no longer seem to work with M3/M4 Gcodes.
1. Using the spindle icons in gmoccapy turns the spindles on in the correct directions and properly activates the spindle brake...so it might be safe to assume that the hardware (parallel port card, BOB, related wiring, and .HAL setup) is working fine.
2. trying to execute M3 or M4 in MDI or as part of a program causes the motor relays and brake release valve to activate and immediately release, leaving the motor off and the brake cylinder activated.
3. If I use the icons to turn on the spindle, and leave the M3 command active in the gcode, it turns the spindle off when the code reaches it. M5 works fine to shut off the spindle at the end of the code..
3. I'm running the last full release (Linux stretch R13, gmoccapy 1.5.9), not the newest version of gmoccapy

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Kelly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2019 20:10 #145284 by newbynobi
If it did work and now it does not, then there must been a change meanwhile!

Check exactly what it can be.

What happen exactly if in MDI you enter S2000 M3?

Post your config, so we may be able to see what hapens

What outputs you get in a terminal if you start the config from inside the terminal?

Norbert

More
15 Sep 2019 21:03 #145291 by kborsum
HA! so it needs the speed too! That fixed it!

The ancient Bridgeport uses a variable pitch belt drive without any way to control it other than manually...so all I need now is simple CW, CCW, and OFF and now I've got that since the speed is ignored (I think).
In the future, if I add a VFD with a 0-10V input for speed control, how to I modify the .HAL/.INI file to specify the voltage output on the bob board? (its pin 1). I don't recall seeing anything to do this in the stepconfig app.

More
16 Sep 2019 04:31 #145312 by newbynobi
Yes, speed is needed:-)

Gmoccapy applies the start speed from settings page if no speed is given, MDI does not!
Just add in any gcode file a speed command fof each M3 and M4.

Norbert

More
16 Sep 2019 16:49 #145333 by kborsum
Hi All!
I seem to be up completely and running just fine with the ancient Bridgeport Boss-II...the equally ancient hardinge chucker is next for adding CNC.

A THUNDEROUS THANK YOU to everyone involved in LinuxCNC!!!
Kelly

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds