Cannot jog after updating to 2.8

More
20 Nov 2019 19:09 #150782 by vmihalca
Hello,
I have updated my linuxcnc to 2.8 and now to 2.9.pre and I have notice when updating from 2.7 that I can no longer jog using the keyboard arrows and page up/down.
Also I am using a iMach p4s pendant from vistacnc, that in 2.7 was able to jog in both manual AND mdi, also I could move the axis even when the machine was not homed yet.
Now I can only jog the machine in manual mode, mdi no longer works.
Any idea why this happens and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2019 19:45 #150786 by pl7i92
you might ned to upload the HAL file from the pendand
is the mashine moving in manuell mode on the pendand keys
so only the Hal settings to bet back to Manuell is needed to be added

More
20 Nov 2019 21:56 #150802 by newbynobi
From 2.8 on, joints and axis are independent.
I am sure your Hal files are connected to the axis pin, but when not homed, you need to jog joints.

Check your Hal files for that.

Norbert

More
22 Nov 2019 16:17 #150939 by vmihalca
I am checking that now, but why I can't jog the machine using the keyboard arrows and page up/down.
That was working before now it not working at all, no matter if homed or not.

More
25 Nov 2019 00:13 #151167 by andypugh
If it won't jog before homing _or_ after homing then something rather odd has happened.

Can you post your HAL and INI files? Were they automatically converted by the conversion tool?

More
20 Jan 2020 03:42 #155231 by JohnnyCNC
I have a P4S and just loaded 2.8 on a fresh install of Linux Mint 19.2. I had to convert the vc-p4s.hal to the new pin names. I haven't able to try the pendant because mine is out for repair. Otherwise, jogging is working using the keyboard. I was never able to jog while the MDI tab was showing but I could jog homed or not. Maybe you need to go through the install procedure again where you put the two files in t he home directory and run make install.

The main change in converting the vc-p4s.hal was changing all instances of:

axis.x to axis.0
axis.y to axis.1
axis.z to axis.2

[AXIS_0] to [AXIS_X]
[AXIS_1] to [AXIS_Y]
[AXIS_2] to [AXIS_Z]

halui.jog.0 to halui.axis.x
halui.jog.1 to halui.axis.y
halui.jog.2 to halui.axis.z

halui.spindle- to halui.spindle.0.

More
26 Jan 2020 21:03 #155854 by JohnnyCNC
I'm having the same issue although I switch from Wheezy with LinuxCNC 2.7.14 to Linux Mint- Mate 19.3 with LinuxCNC 2.8.0~Pre1. I can jug un-homed with the keyboard but not the P4S pendant.. I was able to jog un-homed with both on my old setup. I did a clean install and manually setup my hal and init files after using pncconf to do the basic setup. I'm starting to investigate now.

More
27 Jan 2020 02:35 #155871 by JohnnyCNC
I believe the answer lies in this section of the manual.

7.1. Notes on joint/axis jogging, homing, and kinematics
For simple machines (like mills and lathes) there is a one-to-one equivalence of joints and axis coordinate letters. For example, on an XYZ mill, the relationships are typically: axisX==joint0, axisY==joint1, axisZ=joint2. This correspondence is characterized as IDENTITY kinematics and the kinematics module used is usually trivkins (trivial kinematics). (See the trivkins man page $ man trivkins)
Joint jogging (by joint number 0,1,…) is used in joint mode (usually used only BEFORE homing). When homing is completed, the jogging mode is AUTOMATICALLY switched from joint mode to world mode and axis jogging (coordinate letter X,Y,…) is used. This is appropriate for all gcode moves requested by MDI commands or by gcode programs.
Although jogging in joint mode is often never required after homing, some guis (like axis) provide a keyboard shortcut ($) to allow toggling between joint and world (teleop) modes for machines that use non-IDENTITY kinematics.
In many common situations, joint jogging is never needed since homing is accomplished using home switches and/or the various homing methods provided by LinuxCNC. One simply turns on the machine, issues the Home-All command, the machine homes and changes to world mode automatically. See Homing Configuration

---
I played around with the $ key and toggling between joint mode and world mode. When I press the $ key after homed X,Y,Z radio buttons on Axis change to 0,1,2 and the pendent stops working. Press $ to switch back and it works.

More
27 Jan 2020 08:59 #155884 by andypugh

I did a clean install and manually setup my hal and init files after using pncconf to do the basic setup. I'm starting to investigate now.

It might have been better to allow the auto-conversion tool to convert the old configs.
Is it too late to try that?

More
27 Jan 2020 14:18 #155908 by JohnnyCNC
I still have a drive with Wheezy and 2.7.14 on it so I might give it a try just for fun and education.
Not jogging from the pendent is just a minor inconvenience. I only do it when I want to jog to very end of physical limit of travel or to get the axis of the limit switch if I accidentally end up there. So right now it's just a curiosity.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds