Configure for tool touch-off (not automatic tool measurement)

More
13 Mar 2020 23:48 #160103 by sliptonic
I've been looking through videos and posts but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm using the wrong words.

I have both a renishaw style probe and a tool setter. My mill uses toolholders so I need to set the tool length offsets whenever I change the tool in the holder but not after every toolchange. I think the workflow I want would be:

1) Use the probe to touch the top of the setter to establish a zero point for the probe and call that the reference tool.
2) Tool change to the new tool
3) Probe the new tool to the toolsetter.
4) record the offset to the tool table.

All the documentation I'm finding for gmoccapy seems to assume automatic tool measurement after every tool change.
Please correct my thinking or point me to some relevant posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 12:36 #160162 by bbsr_5a
Hi
as the Toolholders are not on the mashine
you only need one tool to touch the part to ZERO G54
all tools outside are only a length ofset
so only the DIFFERENZ to that tool is needed

Workflow shoudt be TAKE all tools needed on the toolholders
Number them in a CASE/toolholder storige
TAKE the First WE USE the First tool as a STARTDrill always needed and this is Zero
OR if you got enoph holders take a Flat Pin in one and get it to this tool G54 Z0

Then fill by calling a routine like o<mesure> call with a Button or a Mcode Mcode can give the ToolNumber to zero
The Routine moves the Tool to the Probe on a Toolzero Coordinate system only for Toolzeroing like G59
and puts the offset to the TOOLTABLE
G10 L1 P<toolnumber> Z#5323
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g10-l1
coordinate system parameters are here
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g54-g59.3

lots of words bur very easy to use
as the G59 is relatet to the REF it stays always there
and if you need a new tool its only a MDI to set it

More
14 Mar 2020 16:05 #160188 by sliptonic
I think I understand what your saying. You're using your first tool (drill) as the reference tool and measuring all others relative to it. That makes sense. But I want my reference tool to be the probe so that I can use it to touch off the top of the material.

The Gmoccapy tool screen has a button for 'touchoff tool z'. Can this be configured to run the routine/macro to measure and store the offset for the current tool?

More
16 Mar 2020 04:22 #160389 by HueyHQ
I have only just completed a remap O-subroutine to set my tool height when I change a tool - I just issue an Mxx Px command in the MDI.

Would this be any help to you?

I also want to add the probe, as you describe, but have only done the toolsetter so far.

More
18 Mar 2020 21:36 #160679 by sliptonic
That would be great. Thanks

More
19 Mar 2020 19:29 #160768 by HueyHQ
Have a look at this post here .

More
23 Mar 2020 00:34 #161159 by andypugh

I have both a renishaw style probe and a tool setter. My mill uses toolholders so I need to set the tool length offsets whenever I change the tool in the holder but not after every toolchange. I think the workflow I want would be:

1) Use the probe to touch the top of the setter to establish a zero point for the probe and call that the reference tool.
2) Tool change to the new tool
3) Probe the new tool to the toolsetter.
4) record the offset to the tool table.

That seems reasonable. You would then continue to measure all tools.

Is your probe a tool in the tool table? It probably makes sense for it to be (mine is T99). Ensure that the length offset for that tool is zero in the tool table. (G10 L1 Z0 is one way, or use the tool table editor)

Now probe the tool-setter. Set G54 to zero. The coordinate origin is now on the top of your tool setter.

Put in a tool, don't forget to change tool (M6 Tnn or M61 Qnn)
Probe the tool on to the tool setter. Then touch-off to Z = 0, but putting the offset in to the tool table. The tool table now contains the difference in length between your probe and your tool.

If it is too hard to work out how to do this in gmoccapy (I haven't used it) then you could just MDI G10 L10 Z0 ). You might need a G43 to see the displayed position go to zero. (You do with Touchy, I am not sure about gmoccapy)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sou528, Vector

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds