Spiral path for pockets with NativeCAM

More
08 Sep 2017 16:24 #98701 by FernV
Hi,

I am workng on a spiral mode for pockets and the path I think about is this :

Any comments ?

Fern
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2017 08:34 #98865 by newbynobi
Hallo Fern,

The new spiral tool paths are not so heavy for the milling tools, as the load is more constant. Please find attached my parametric spiral ngc code in the most recent version. The realized path is shown on the screenshot, and that looks more uniform than yours.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FernV

More
26 Sep 2017 18:24 #99478 by fixer
I am thinking about a different approach for complicated features - external python scripts that generate g-code based on input arguments. As we did with text engraving feature. It is a lot easier to do heavy math with external programs and you would still use NativeCam as user frontend to pass arguments to external programs.

I am looking at this repo github.com/aewallin , but cant find the time to dive in. It should be quite easy to do pocketing generators for simple shapes with true elipsed toolpath using opencamlib.

I am currently working on a G71 lathe cycles that will work like your polyline for mill. Complete profile is sent from NativeCam as argument to python script and it returns plain G0-G1-G2-G3 moves. This also has benefits because you can use run-from-line to start somewhere in the middle of roughing.

More
26 Sep 2017 20:05 #99488 by FernV

... It is a lot easier to do heavy math with external programs

I agree

... and you would still use NativeCam as user frontend to pass arguments to external programs.

Yes this is easy

I am looking at this repo github.com/aewallin , but cant find the time to dive in.

I will take a look at this code but I am also short on time until end of October

It should be quite easy to do pocketing generators for simple shapes with true elipsed toolpath using opencamlib.

Depending on the license

I am currently working on a G71 lathe cycles that will work like your polyline for mill. Complete profile is sent from NativeCam as argument to python script and it returns plain G0-G1-G2-G3 moves. This also has benefits because you can use run-from-line to start somewhere in the middle of roughing.

Thanks

Fern

More
29 Dec 2018 13:15 #123071 by fixer
proof of concept of what I had in mind in attachment. Circular pocket is a simple example, and it could be easily done in gcode alone, but the same principle can be used for generating more complex paths. For example, slot clearing of long and narrow rectangles,...
Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2018 20:32 #123237 by FernV
Hi,

This is exactly what will be in the next release

Fern

More
01 Jan 2019 19:18 #123282 by fixer
great!

I did some optimizations in CXF engraving, it produces more efficient gcode now and fixed some bugs,... If you want to include it, I can share.

p.s. how do you send a private message on this forum?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds