setting up for Parallel port Tutoral Part 3

More
05 Jan 2017 18:56 #85298 by X123
Thank you cncbasher for pointing out what my problem could be.
I have a mini motherboard somewhere with ps2 plugs. All I got to do is find it and try it.
Thanks, Fritz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2017 05:45 #85556 by X123
Hi cncbasher,
Could you please tell me how to do the following in simple terms for a simple mind.

" sudo copy the previously downloaded extracted file operator_login_pp make a copy and rename
operator_login and overwrite the original,
( a copy of the original is included ).
and now make sure the properties of the file are correct.
both the owner (1001) & group (1002) so."
Thanks, Fritz.
Attachments:

More
14 Jan 2017 17:59 #85764 by X123
That's something, nobody able to translate that Linuxspeak or is it chinglish into proper english.
I guess I must be the only Dummy in this world.

More
17 Jan 2017 20:58 #86000 by cncnoob1979

Hi cncbasher,
Could you please tell me how to do the following in simple terms for a simple mind.

" sudo copy the previously downloaded extracted file operator_login_pp make a copy and rename
operator_login and overwrite the original,
( a copy of the original is included ).
and now make sure the properties of the file are correct.
both the owner (1001) & group (1002) so."
Thanks, Fritz.

cncbasher was stating this:

copy the file "operator_login_pp" and overwrite the original located in the pathpilot. You will have to use the sudo command in conjunction with copy to do this. (gives you super-user rights, aka admin) Google the command if unfamiliar with it.

Check the properties of the file by right-clicking on it. Make sure you have access as the owner and group.

More
21 Jan 2017 13:06 #86354 by X123
Before I asked for help here I googled sudo and I still don't understand and thanks to you and other linux GEEKS

I never will. It must be hard to go through life with you swollen head superiority complex.

More
21 Jan 2017 16:27 - 24 Jan 2017 13:48 #86371 by cncnoob1979
You are trying something fairly advance so therefore a certain level of experience is assumed.

However your caustic attitude will prevent others from trying to help.
It's you - not me. If you want help then try to be polite when responding.
A simple search of "sudo copy command" or anything similar would have given you the information for this basic task.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2017 13:48 by cncnoob1979.

More
21 Jan 2017 16:51 - 23 Jan 2017 14:34 #86373 by bevins

Before I asked for help here I googled sudo and I still don't understand and thanks to you and other linux GEEKS

I never will. It must be hard to go through life with you swollen head superiority complex.

You wont really get anywhere talking like this.

cp is the copy command.
sudo is the equivalent of root, so if you are a regular user you cant copy files that you dont own to a place that you dont have access to. so if you use sudo before the command it will ask you for root password so you can copy to and from a place you dont have access to as a regular user. re:

sudo cp path/filename(this is from) path/filename( this is where you want the file to end up)

sudo cp /usr/local/house/dog.txt /usr/local/src/dog.txt
It will ask you for a password, put in the root password and it will copy it there. If the file exists it will ask you if you want to overwrite it.

This is basic linux stuff, if you dont know this then you should be reading up on linux. Its normal you dont understand it, but getting frustrated and lashing out to people that are trying to help will not get you anywhere.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2017 14:34 by bevins.

More
21 Jan 2017 17:22 #86376 by tommylight

It will ask you for a password, put in the root password and it will copy it there. If the file exists it will ask you if you want to overwrite it.

Just added "cp" after sudo as it was missing.

More
23 Jan 2017 14:35 #86484 by bevins

Just added "cp" after sudo as it was missing.

Thanks Tommy, Sorry, just edited it.

More
23 Jan 2017 23:21 #86524 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds