Path to PathPilot on Hurco with 5i25 and 7i77

More
12 Feb 2016 02:05 #70026 by B.Reilly01
I just received my Mesa boards, and PathPilot really looks like the user interface I'd like to use (what can I say, I like eyecandy). I haven't done a LinuxCNC setup yet, this is my first conversion. Is it possible/has it been done using a 5i25 and 7i77 with PathPilot? I understand that PathPilot likes to reflash Mesa cards, has that been killed? I especially like the conversational aspect of PathPilot. Is it possible to have the control basically fully set up before I go hacking into my current wiring?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2016 09:18 #70032 by cncbasher
so long as you have installed the 5i25 and connected the 7i77 and then have field power connected to the 7i77 it will run fine
you'll need to install the bit file specific to the 5i25 & the 7i77 into the pathpilot build , my tutorials above i beflive cover that . if not let me know and i'll create one .

after changing the bit file , theirs a few places you'd need to replace the filename , so it always loads the correct one if theirs any problems , you can dump the operator_login script and start linuxcnc in the normal way .
this depends on how far you wish to modify your setup , and of course if you run any tornach updates you'd need to make the changes again .
i hope to have a modified version of pathpilot avaiable shortly , and most of these issues are taken care of .
theirs just a lot of work to do .

if you need guidance just let me know and i'll help you through .
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

More
13 Feb 2016 02:38 #70052 by B.Reilly01
Is it possible to do the setup without field power? I want to get the control as developed as possible in my nice heated basement, while still using the mill with the existing conversational in the unheated garage. Then, when the control is as far along as I can get it, tear apart the control and install the PC into the control box then. I suppose I could hijack a 12V+ and GND off the PC power supply if I need field power. Is it okay to power the 5i25 via the PCI slot until I get to the controller or should I switch the jumper and hijack 5V off the PC power supply right away? I'm thinking that's the safest route, but I may want to use the PC power supply as a PC power supply in the future, and I have a 5vdc, ±15vdc, 24vdc , 80vdc, 115vac power supply in the control.

More
13 Feb 2016 18:27 #70076 by cncbasher
yes you can power the board via the 5i25 with 5v , however you still need a seperate field power to be connected , you could temp connec t that to the 12v from the pc , while you set everything up.
if you power seperately you need field power to be on before you start up the pc , or you'll find you will get errors , that it cannot find any of the GPIO pins . this is because they are fed seperately via a micro on the 7i77 , hence needing the field power

More
20 Feb 2016 16:25 #70403 by B.Reilly01
I've got PathPilot installed and I've replaced all the references to the wrong bit files. I know PathPilot doesn't use a config picker, but is there a way to download PNCConfig and use that to make a config file? Or do I just have to try to piece it together from config files?

More
20 Feb 2016 16:50 - 20 Feb 2016 16:58 #70406 by cncbasher
pncconf should be able to load , so long as you use a older version from 2.6.3 or there abouts ,
but if you also have linuxcnc installed on another machine , you could use that as an option

you'll find a basic 5i25/7i77 config here
Kindly done by JT
gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/configs/7i77.html

or send me an email with what config you want as a master , and i'll make one , then of course hand edit from their on in
Last edit: 20 Feb 2016 16:58 by cncbasher.

More
21 Feb 2016 03:43 #70423 by B.Reilly01
Thanks, I installed LinuxCNC 2.6 on a second partition, and I'm building a config file there, then I'll push it over to the PathPilot drive. I'm still working in my basement, so I'm not yet "live" on the mill. I'm still trying to figure out the limit switch performance and EStop function, so I'm sure to have many more questions. My limit switches appear to only function on logic level (5v) voltages, so that's my next challenge I think. It has an opto-isolator board, but surprisingly that also appears to only operate on 5V. Should limit switches show field voltage when off the limit and 0v when activated?

More
21 Feb 2016 11:05 #70426 by cncbasher
the gpio inputs are at field voltage level . if the switches go through an opto isolation board , then the output of the opto board should show field voltage , but the input side i.e the switch would still be at 5v , if that makes sense ,
you may need to slightly modifiy the opto board , but it's simple enough , theirs usually 2 voltages supplied for each side of the opto
ideally field voltage should be above 8v , most standardise on 12 or 24v , 24v being a universal standard for control equipment
but for our cases 12v is fine .
or alternatively remove the opto board and place the switches directly to the gpio pin
just remember the estop is nc ,

More
22 Feb 2016 17:20 #70485 by B.Reilly01
Is the mesa board/PathPilot expecting field voltage when at the limit or ground? I'm going to rework the Optoboard. Unfortunately that probably means losing the automated drive disabling feature that this mill originally had, unless LinuxCNC can take field voltage off the limit, and ground signal when limit is reached. Then I can insert some diodes on the drive OT signal. This particular mill has the following voltages: ±5v, ±10v, ±15v, and 24v.

More
22 Feb 2016 17:37 #70487 by cncbasher
no you shouldn't loose any functionality at all , may need a relay or whatever , but everything you have is doable one way or another , the field power can be whatever you wish so long as the minimum is 8v , and the max is 24 v
most machines tend to use 24v ,
it's usuall to feed 24v to the switch and have the return come to the 7i77 pin , taking that when the switch is operated this will pull the pin to ground , the logic of the pin can be changed if you need the reverse , this is done in your hal file

same for the outputs if your feeding either to solid state relays or whatever .
drive enables are usually logic inputs or have been controlled by ssr's , sometimes in series with limit switches
in a 24v loop ,

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds