Workspace/Limits/Home/Reference

More
15 Jul 2017 01:59 #95808 by bill.anderson
Does anybody know where to find the parameters to define the workspace?. I move my table to the right X mechanical limit, the most negative Y limit and the most negative Z . I have disabled the reference switches on the settings page.

I then reference the X,Y,Z buttons. I next position my work stock so that 0,0,0 is at the upper left corner and hit the Zero X,Y,Z .to set the work offsets. I used the conversational programming to surface a 3x5x2 in block of aluminum. When I hit cycle start I get an error that says that the linear move on line 43 will exceed the positive limit of the x axis. Looking at the plot it shows the projected travel outside the workspace. How can I adjust the Tormach workspace envelope to match my machine.

thanks
bill a.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2017 03:23 #95811 by rodw
Bill, I as a noob to all this, I've been struggling with this as I know nothing about CNC machining.I think this is expected behaviour and it is even a problem with the default LinuxCNC logo example that ships with the Axis GUI They even tell you to move the axes and touch of befre running the example. Its probably a negative move for the width of the tool or something that causes it. Normally what you'd do is move over to the workpiece in your vice and touch off on it and this is no different. You need to move away from the origin and touch off (or use G92) and it will work.

I have a plasma machine, so I don't need to worry about the Z axis and I have no touch off button in my interface. This morning I programmed a macro button in Gmoccapy to Zero the X and Y axes at the current location and I am a happy Chappie.

More
17 Jul 2017 12:03 #95882 by andypugh
The sequence of actions that you describe sounds about right.

Do you get to examine the G-code in conversational mode? Perhaps there is a coordinate system change happening, or a G53 command?

Another way to get the problem you are describing is to have an X / Y offset in the tool table by accident. If you open the tool editor you should be able to see this.

More
17 Jul 2017 15:12 #95902 by bill.anderson
I'm not sure yet, but I think I'm able to shift the work space envelope by changing the axis min and max limits in the .ini file.

More
17 Jul 2017 15:17 #95903 by andypugh
Well, you can edit the INI, but it absolutely should not be necessary.

In the graphical preview you can click on the move that causes the problem, and the corresponding G-code line will be highlighted. What does that line say?

Maybe the problem is a move to G28 for tool change, or similar?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds