Path Pilot on Sherline Mill & Lathe

More
17 Dec 2017 22:10 #103255 by couch
Hi everyone,

Long time machinist but new to the forum. I recently dug my Sherline CNC mill and lathe out of storage and have been tuning the up. I'm running EMC2 on them both but would like to upgrade to Path Pilot. I don't really have any issues with EMC2 but love the new features and UI of Path Pilot. I have all the original hardware on the Sherlines and they both work great. I'm curious though if this is going to simply be a software upgrade or will I need any new hardware as well? I've done a bit of searching on the forum and haven't found anything regarding the Sherlines specifically yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2017 23:41 #103260 by smgvbest
I don't know the specifics of the sherline but if you have it working with EMC you should be able to get it working with PP

You can run PP via parallel port and if that's what you used before you just need to do the configuration.
there is a pined thread n doing the parallel port setup. most of the work is in getting the PP specifics to work for you.

other than that hardware wise PP is built around a Mesa 5i25 card to thier custom BOB. most of us use a 7i76 card in place of that custom card.

it's a start I hope. theres allot of good threads in this forum and I'm sure they can help also

Sandra

More
18 Dec 2017 08:18 - 18 Dec 2017 08:20 #103275 by Contract_Pilot
Simplest way to run Path Pilot on a small basic Mill is to use the 440 Configuration and the 5/6I25 and a MX3360 Drive/BOB and BLDC.

Schematic... Nothing Special... the 770 and 1100 use a Proprietary BOB with Custom Firmware on a Pic Chip.

Very Little Editing Will be Required Mostly to the INI file for your motor and travel & limit settings. Friend of mine built his controller for his Grizzly G0704 with this method and it been running just fine.
Last edit: 18 Dec 2017 08:20 by Contract_Pilot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: couch

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds