Tool Offset Table size

More
08 Jan 2018 14:13 #104160 by Merlin71
Hi Guys

First post in the forum so i hope i get it right.

Is there anyone here that knows if Pathpilots tool offset table size can be increased from 255?

It seems silly to limit it to that size when you could have more tools than that if you work with multiple materials.

Limiting to 999 would cover most options.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2018 10:46 #104763 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Tool Offset Table size
If Pathpilot allows 255 tools then it is already a lot more capable than LinuxCNC (which supports 56)
This might mean that Pathpilot is very different from LinuxCNC in the way that it handles tools, and that might also mean that the LinuxCNC forum might not know enough to help.

There was an attempt some years ago to remove any tool table size limit from LinuxCNC, but it never got merged (or properly tested).

The 56 tool limit is defined here:
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/9d99a3...l_intf/emctool.h#L23
And it might be as simple as just increasing that number, but I have a feeling that the number 56 was due to another limit somewhere else in the code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merlin71

More
21 Jan 2018 12:35 - 21 Jan 2018 12:35 #104782 by Clive S
Replied by Clive S on topic Tool Offset Table size
I am just reading through the 2.8 dev man. (trying my best to learn and understand) and came across this:-
"pocket number
An integer that identifies the pocket or slot in the toolchanger hardware where the tool resides. Pocket numbers are handled
differently by LinuxCNC when configured for random and nonrandom toolchangers:
• When LinuxCNC is configured for a nonrandom toolchanger, the pocket number in the tool file can be any positive
integer (pocket 0 is not allowed). LinuxCNC silently compactifies the pocket numbers when it loads the tool file,
so there may be a difference between the pocket numbers in the tool file and the internal pocket numbers used by
LinuxCNC-with-nonrandom-toolchanger.
• When LinuxCNC is configured for a random toolchanger, the pocket numbers in the tool file must be between 0 and 55,
inclusive. Pockets 1-55 are in the toolchanger, pocket 0 is the spindle."

To me as a layman with a nonrandom tool changer I read it as "any positive number" and with a random tool changer to be 0-55. So is it tied to 56 or is that just for one type of changer?
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 12:35 by Clive S.

More
21 Jan 2018 16:48 - 21 Jan 2018 17:02 #104799 by smgvbest
Replied by smgvbest on topic Tool Offset Table size
FYI,
I looked at the PP source (v1.8.2) and it has this for that file
//    Copyright 2013 Jeff Epler <jepler@unpythonic.net>
//
//    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
//    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
//    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
//    (at your option) any later version.
//
//    This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
//    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
//    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
//    GNU General Public License for more details.
//
//    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
//    along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
//    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

#ifndef EMCTOOL_H
#define EMCTOOL_H

#include "emcpos.h"

/* Tools are numbered 1..CANON_TOOL_MAX, with tool 0 meaning no tool. */
#define CANON_POCKETS_MAX 257   // max size of carousel handled
#define CANON_TOOL_ENTRY_LEN 256        // how long each file line can be

struct CANON_TOOL_TABLE {
    int toolno;
    EmcPose offset;
    double diameter;
    double frontangle;
    double backangle;
    int orientation;
};

#endif

my thinking is LinuxCNC threats tools and pockets as the same thing.
the pocket is the physical pocket in a carousel a tool can go into thus has a limit and likely the largest carousel is 56 pockets.
a tool is a physical tool which the limit is well, none. you can only have 56 in the carousel at a time.

<sidebar>
I don't want to call this a rant or soapbox as it's neither, just my not understanding and maybe its because I'm not a machinist by trade, just a hobbyist but this has always seemed a bit off to me. If I call T1M6 the expectation is I have loaded tool 1 with a tool. not my tool 1. just that a tool indexed as tool 1 has been loaded. on one job T1 might be a 0.25" endmill while on another job it might be a 3" Facemill
this is valid but if you have allot of tools why wouldn't you number them and keep using same number all the time. ie T1 is always that 0.25: endmill, T2 is always the 3" Facemill?
Is it faster to do it the way its done?
i would think if you built a tool library and your CAD/CAM guys used this same library as the machinist uses things would operator smoother. or is that my lack of knowledge showing thru?
</sidebar>
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 17:02 by smgvbest.

More
22 Jan 2018 13:07 #104839 by Merlin71
Replied by Merlin71 on topic Tool Offset Table size
Hi SMGV

a quick question, to be able to view the pathpilot source code, do i need to run python or a different program?

as for the tool table and numbers, normally a user would specify a tool number and what tool is in the Number and also the diameter and length. This would then set tool offsets for thta tool when running the gcode. I have a matching tool library in Fusion 360 that i can then use for doing CAM so that the tool i use is always numbered the same. IE: Tool 1 - Haimer probe, T26 10mm 2flute, T132 - 3.2mm HSS Drill bit and so on.
It also helps when you have all you tools set up in tool holders so that your lengths remain the same and dont have to recheck each time.

I hope that helps with the tool library bit.

More
22 Jan 2018 19:09 #104862 by smgvbest
Replied by smgvbest on topic Tool Offset Table size
You would have to request the source from Tormach, they charge $10 for s&h. At least they did when I requested it.
I'm not sure if we're free to pass it on or not otherwise I'd offer.

I do understand how the tool change process works, it's more of questioning the method in light of the question

More
24 Jan 2018 05:26 #104930 by KCJ
Replied by KCJ on topic Tool Offset Table size

a quick question, to be able to view the pathpilot source code, do i need to run python or a different program?

No, if you have the PathPilot source all you need is a simple text editor (included on practically all OS's) to view the code. Even if all you have is a distribution copy, you can learn a lot from reading the non binary files, which include all the python scripts, HAL files, configs, tcl files etc. If you look you can find the PathPilot source on this forum. As demonstrated by the code snippet smgvbest posted, the code is licensed under the GPLv2, so the source can be freely viewed, distributed and modified.

Cheers,
Kurt

More
23 Aug 2018 15:41 #116488 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Tool Offset Table size
I only saw this today.
If you want to increase your tool capacity just take a look at:

www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php?title=Useful_linux_commands

More
23 Aug 2018 16:04 #116491 by sharmstr
Replied by sharmstr on topic Tool Offset Table size
As of 2.1.1 the mill has 1000 tools

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds