Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x

More
03 Sep 2018 21:10 #117026 by Simpson36
Hello Group!

I am starting to port my 4th axis motor controller to PP 2.x and as soon as I 'opened the hood' it became obvious that it is very different from 1.9.13

Right off the bat I cannot get Modbus to work. As normal, mb2hal does not seem to be included with PP 2.x and the LinuxCNC version that works fine with PP 1.9.13 throws a code sharing error on PP2.x

I can be more specific but first I thought I would see if anyone has already done this. Most of 'operator_login' has been replaced by a python program. Not sure if that is good of bad, but it made me wonder about the feasibility of using pymodbus or something similar instead of the LinuxCNC mb2hal utility.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 10:50 #117048 by racedirector
I have a custom mb2hal for my Hitachi X400 running on PP2, I had to recompile the version I had under 1.9 so it would run under 64bit. Aside from that I didn't change anything.

Have you recompiled mb2hal to work under 64bit Linuxcnc?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simpson36

More
04 Sep 2018 15:04 #117058 by Simpson36
Replied by Simpson36 on topic Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x
Thank you for the reply. I created a fresh Linux install but using 32 bit in order to follow a published process.
It looks like mb2hal has had some attention over the last year.
I also created a fresh 64 bit MINT and I will install linuxcnc on that and see how it goes.

More
04 Sep 2018 22:28 #117076 by Simpson36
Up and running. Moving on to the next pothole . . :-)

More
05 Sep 2018 10:03 #117089 by racedirector
Great news!

More
10 Sep 2018 06:58 #117283 by smgvbest
Replied by smgvbest on topic Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x
I assume once you had it on the 64bit version of linux and built mb2hal it worked fine? That should have been the issue. you have to build for 64 bit code in PP2.x vs 32bit code in PP1.x

trying to clarify so others can benefit in the future should the question arise again.

More
10 Sep 2018 16:41 #117298 by Simpson36
Yes, what I did was compile LinuxCNC using the OS that is included with the Path Pilot 2.0.0 distribution.

Then just copy the Modbus stuff over to PP.

The rest of the port was happily just cut-and-paste. Tormach made the standard slider bigger (screen shot attached). Release notes say this is targeted at touch screens, which makes sense. The larger size makes them a bit crowded where used in my application, but I will likely leave them as-is for now.

The old unsupported OS used on pre-2.x was a major roadblock to doing interesting stuff with PP.
Attachments:

More
09 Jun 2019 22:36 #136412 by gjvander
Replied by gjvander on topic Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x
Hi,

I tried compiling LinuxCNC, but I would say my skills are lacking when it comes to Linux.

Would it be possible to post the required compiled files for mb2hal so I can just copy them into the PP2 directories.

Regards,

Geo

More
12 Jun 2019 12:19 #136715 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x
This might not work if the files are linked to a particular (and different) kernel version.

However, if you google about extracting individual files from a .deb archive you should be able to find ways, and the LinuxCNC .deb files are available here:
www.linuxcnc.org/dists/

More
15 Jun 2019 17:22 #137000 by gjvander
Replied by gjvander on topic Modbus for Path Pilot 2.x
OK, I was successful in compiling LinuxCNC in Linux Mint using the correct kernel, and extracting the MB2HAL executable to Pathpilot 2.

Thanks,

Geo

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds