Change parameters for new 4th axis

More
01 Oct 2018 22:05 #118322 by BMill55
I have installed a new 4th axis with a different gear ratio. I do not know what I need to change in the .ini file to rotate
the correct amount. In the MDI, I wrote G01 A1 F25. It rotated 22 degrees instead of 1. I tried changing the steps from 500 to 100
to check if it made any changes. Still 22 degrees. I have read the manual but nothing specific to my problem. Im sure its there but
Im missing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 03:08 #118332 by cmorley
please post your INI and HAL files.
In the INI should be something named scale or input_scale for the [AXIS_A] section (or joints if using master) changing this number will change the steps per degree

Chris M

More
02 Oct 2018 15:58 #118362 by BMill55
I made the classic newbie mistake. Didnt restart after changing scale. Ive changed the scale from 500 to 25. That seems to be the correct number. Now I need to get the speed and acceleration. I hate to ask for help with that because I havent had time to research it. Also, the spindle is turning the wrong way. Can I change the 25 to a -25 and reverse the direction? Thanks for the kind reply. Some people on the forums can be very unpleasant.

BMill

More
03 Oct 2018 00:56 #118384 by cmorley
Ahh yes no restart start will get you :)

Yes negating the scale should change direction, so can inverting the HAL pins that drive the spindle. It will depend on how your spindle is driven HAL wise.
Trying it won't hurt anything.

The INI settings for velocity and accleration should be under the [AXIS_} section

MAX_VELOCITY =
MAX_ACCELERATION =

I believe a general rule of thumb is the acceleration is about 10 times the velocity, but you should test based on real world conditions.
Too great of acceleration will get you missed steps pretty fast.

Chris M

More
03 Oct 2018 14:04 #118408 by BMill55
I changed the stepper drive pulley to 15mm larger pulley. The pulley was too small and allowed the belt to move creating a lot of backlash. Works great now. Changed the scale to a negative and the spindle rotates in the correct direction. I left the velocity the same but decreased the accel to compensate for the large chuck and the higher gear ratio. Works perfect. Went to A360, A720, and back to A0 and it stopped exactly on 0.0 each time. Thank you for your time and direction. I appreciate it very much.

BMill

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds