Launch PP from desktop?

More
05 Nov 2021 20:54 #225427 by 93xshang
Hey all, did some search but didnt find anything so thought i'd create a post and ask.

I'm doing some modification to the PP on my 1100M machine, specifically, adding functions to the UI. However, is there a way to launch PP from desktop after I finished editing the .py and .glade files? I'm now restarting the controller each time when i need to test out my modifications but there must be a better way..

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2021 15:49 - 07 Nov 2021 15:51 #225559 by sharmstr
Replied by sharmstr on topic Launch PP from desktop?
I havent done this in awhile but from my simulator notes

From PP: crtl-alt-x to bring up terminal
In terminal type:
/usr/bin/mate-panel

In System -> Preferences ->All Applications remove PP from start up applications.
Add desktop launcher: Right click on desktop -> create launcher -> give it a name and add this command
mate-terminal -x bash -c "~/operator_login"

I do all my dev at my windows desktop using virtual box using PP in simulator mode. Once its ready for the machine, I'll upload and test there. Google it if you are interested. Lots of us are doing it this way.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2021 15:51 by sharmstr.

More
10 Nov 2021 19:31 #226027 by 93xshang
Replied by 93xshang on topic Launch PP from desktop?
Thanks sharmstr.

The simulation mode is definitely something I should consider. I just haven't yet gotten the PP installation USB key from Tormach. Is it possible to burn a installation disk from the controller or is getting the USB the only way?

More
10 Nov 2021 19:42 #226029 by sharmstr
Hmmm. Good question. I definitely had the upgrade USB. Not sure how its done with machines that came standard with 2.0+

More
10 Nov 2021 20:14 #226034 by 93xshang
Replied by 93xshang on topic Launch PP from desktop?
Cool. i know there's recovery section on the controller but not sure if I can burn it on to boot loader USB.. Maybe I'll just get a PP USB then

More
02 Dec 2021 01:45 #228167 by plewis
Replied by plewis on topic Launch PP from desktop?
Hello sharmstr,
I'm working with 93xshang on the same project. I'm very curious how did you install PP in virtualbox? I've created a config with a VHD and added the bootable usb as VHD but when I boot, it does not want to install (or perhaps is not seeing the other VHD). I'm trying to create an image now to mount as a DVD or floppy, but could really use some advice or instructions if possible please.
Thanks!

More
02 Dec 2021 01:50 #228168 by sharmstr
Here's a link to an old discussion where I explain what I had to do. Things may have changed since then: www.cnczone.com/forums/tormach-pathpilot...r-4.html#post2111468

More
15 Jan 2022 04:13 #231857 by RandyJ
Replied by RandyJ on topic Launch PP from desktop?
I have had good luck with holding alt-leftshift while booting to go to desktop when I want to edit files.   After bringing up the terminal you can just type in:

./operator_login

This has worked for me.  Up arrow in the term will repeat the PP launch.  You might have to use it many times if adapting to other hardware:)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds