M00 jog and Resume

More
23 Feb 2022 14:23 #235608 by Vmax549
M00 jog and Resume was created by Vmax549
Hi Guys, Has Linuxcnc gotten anywhere with a Stop Jog Resume function . Hard to believe that the M00 is just a feedhold and not a true program stop.  How do you guys stop and check anything during a program run ???

(;-) TP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2022 14:36 #235609 by snowgoer540
Replied by snowgoer540 on topic M00 jog and Resume
I think it depends on what you are trying to do exactly. For example, I modded my S31100 to add an encoder and rigid tapping. I like to use tapping gel as I dont like breaking taps :). So I do a NC Passthru in Fusion that does the following code (note that I disable the coolant for tapping tools so I dont use an M9 here to turn it off, otherwise you would want to do that):
M5  (stop the spindle)
G30 (send to tool change height)
M0  (program pause)

This works fine for what I want to do. However, with M0, LinuxCNC remains in AUTO mode. So MDI and Jogging is not allowed.

If you want to jog around while the program is "paused", that is not possible with pathpilot, although with eoffsets, it is possible with LinuxCNC as a whole.

Hopefully that answers your question?

More
23 Feb 2022 15:40 #235618 by Vmax549
Replied by Vmax549 on topic M00 jog and Resume
So are you saying there is NO WAY to stop and do an inspection then resume the program >>> WOW that is going to be a disappointment to a lot of perspective users.

Interesting , (;-) TP

More
23 Feb 2022 15:46 #235620 by snowgoer540
No, that's not what I'm saying. Maybe I don't understand what you're looking to do. But I just outlined one way to stop the program, move the spindle out of the way, which would allow you to measure something while it's in the vice.

If X and Y are not positioned where you need them to be, you could use machine coordinates to position X and Y as well before the M0.

Further, you CAN STOP the program, jog around, and then use their run from line feature to pick back up where you stopped it. It would be easiest for you to still use a planned M0 or M1 in these cases though so you could easily find the the line you want to resume on.

Making it easy on yourself requires a bit of pre-planning, but there are definitely options.

More
23 Feb 2022 16:29 #235623 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic M00 jog and Resume
Something like this:

Old video.

More
23 Feb 2022 16:58 #235625 by Vmax549
HI Snow , You cannot do tool or part inspections with the spindle running and with a M0 you cannot turn OFF the spindle. SO yes you can move out of teh work zone BUT that is about it.

RFH is not really an option as it cannot garrantee to duplicate the EXACT machine states for a restart. For example IF a probe and set #vars is part of teh routine then PP has NO idea what that #var would be unless the Probe routine was actually ran. And it the case of RFH it will not be actually ran.

When you are working with machining castings NO 2 castings will be exactly alike so you have to probe the casting to set work offsets as you go. IT really is easy when M00 works as it should. NOT so easy if M00 is just a feedhold.

Just a thought (;-) TP

More
23 Feb 2022 17:04 #235630 by snowgoer540
Vmax (which is ironic because the first snowmobile I owned was a Vmax 540cc (hence the 540 in my name) - though I realize you are likely referring to the motorcycle version),

If you look at my first post, I suggested a way to stop the spindle, and move the column to the tool change position (or wherever G30 is programmed to be), and then M0 (pause) the program. In that manner, the spindle is not running anymore. If you are programming in an M0 anyways, it's just as easy to program the other stuff prior to the M0 too.
M5
M9
G30
M0

^would get you there.

Not sure what CAM you use, but you can do this in Fusion360 very easily with a Manual NC pass thru, but it does (or did) require a small post processor mod. I'd be happy to help should you use Fusion and want to make the change.

More
23 Feb 2022 17:46 #235636 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic M00 jog and Resume
Switching the spindle off and on is not really all that difficult to do when the interpreter is paused. All you need to do is to cut the spindle enable signal in hal or in hardware.
Jogging would need to be done with external offsets as tommy has suggested. If you use a custom panel button for pause/resume you might even find some hal magic to make sure that the spindle is at speed and the external offsets are back to zero before allowing the program to be resumed.
But of course one would not be wrong to call these solutions workarounds for the fact that regular jogging is indeed not allowed while the interpreter is paused.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Feb 2022 05:39 #235675 by Vmax549
HIYA Snow there was a Yamaha Vmax motorcycle a Vmax Snowmobile and a Vmax outboard motor.
(;-) TP
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds