Reconfigure rapid turn axis's on pcnc770

More
22 Mar 2022 12:13 #238005 by benscale160
Hello, thanks for the add.  I am somewhat familiar with software writing and editing and do feel comfortable making changes so long as I have an idea of what im doing.

I have a Tormach Pcnc 770 in which I would like to create another configuration file for the lathe software that operates the rapid turn attachment. Instead of mounting a spindle to the machine table (rapid turn) , I want to put the work piece in the current mill spindle.  This requires transposing the x and z axis's, changing their directions, swapping their respective limit switch inputs, and swapping the max rapid speeds both for the jog shuttle and G0 commands.  I also would like to ignore the rapid turn spindle pulse that goes into the accessory input which is used for spindle indexing when turning threads. 

I have already made some tests by moving wires around and everything above electrically works. I was looking into making a change over circuit with relays that would accomplish the above requirements when changing from mill to lathe modes.

I figure I would ask for a little guidance as to how to modify the software before I start cutting wires. 

Thanks in advance 
Ben Renard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2022 19:41 - 23 Mar 2022 19:44 #238129 by Vmax549
I am not sure I understand your problem. Simply reconfig the HAL on the turn side side to match your mill side. Z = Z and X= X and  S = S

No wires would be harmed (;-)

(;-) TP
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 19:44 by Vmax549.

More
23 Mar 2022 20:59 #238137 by snowgoer540
You can do this via post processor as well.  Somewhere out there on the net there's a post that does just this.  I've seen it, but without digging, I dont know to tell you where.

For the record, I've heard this is really hard on the spindle bearings.

More
24 Mar 2022 21:05 #238270 by andypugh
This can all be done in HAL. No rewiring needed.
And, in fact, as has been poiinted out, there might not even need to be any axis renaming / reconfiguration as Z is still Z and X is still X (unless uyou prefer to use the Y as the radial axis)

In mill mode the software still allows for tool offsets in X, Y and Z.

More
24 Mar 2022 21:55 - 24 Mar 2022 22:04 #238283 by Vmax549
IF you setup the rapidturn version for your mill to match the mill then all you do to switch is Make sure your Y axis is aligned to the centerline or teh spindle then push that button that says switch to rapidturn then MOUNT your chuck in the spindle and your tool post on the bed aligned to the centerline and you are a vertical lathe. TO switch back press that button that switches you back to mill remove the chuck from the spindle and presto and you are a mill again. For the spindle chuck I would use a solid R8 tool holder and mount the spindle to it permanently or there MAY be some R8 holders that already have a small chuck mounted.

NOW be sure you limit the spindle speeds or drop it into LOW range and still watch the Speeds . A fast spinning lathe chuck can kill you (;-) when things fly out including part of teh chuck. In the Rapid turn setup you CAN set the MAX spindle speeds. I would make SURE that is done.

(;-) TP
Last edit: 24 Mar 2022 22:04 by Vmax549.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds