PathPirate - Automated configuration changes to PathPilot

More
10 Feb 2023 19:09 - 10 Feb 2023 19:13 #264241 by snowgoer540
Recently, I added ClearPath servos to my 1100-3 machine.  It was tedious enough when I just had an encoder to make all the changes necessary every time I updated versions (or tested a PathPilot beta release for Tormach), but the Servo changes makes this even worse.  So I wrote a script to automate the changes, and I thought I would share it with the group.

It can be found in my github repository:

github.com/snowgoer540/PathPirate

Currently it will only add an encoder and/or servos to an 1100-3 machine.  However, for any Tormach machine, it can:
  • compare Tormach's changes to INI and/or HAL files between versions
  • add HALSHOW (called by the MDI command: ADMIN HALSHOW)
  • convert the MAX VEL slider to a RAPID slider so rapid movements can be controlled independently of feed moves (not possible with MAX VEL)

Thanks to Peter (PCW), the firmware that is included with PathPirate turns on the DPLL functionality that Tormach uses.  Therefore the HAL file does not require the modifications to remove the DPLL lines that it did previously when the non-DPLL firmware that is floating around here was used.

Also, thanks to Phill (phillc54) for being willing to provide preliminary testing and feedback even though he doesn't have a Tormach machine.

Suggestions and feedback are welcomed.  In the future, I may attempt to block Tormach's restart on version upgrades, and call this script instead so the changes can be made with only one restart being required (instead of two).  Also, when only configuration changes are necessary and not Mesa firmware updates (or the firmware was already updated), it would be nice to only restart PathPilot instead of the whole computer.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2023 19:13 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, Contract_Pilot, simplyfast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2023 20:21 #264383 by simplyfast
I will have a look at this as it should be very handy as I plan to add an encoder and servos shortly.

Is there a for you to share with me your rencoder hw,fw,sw setup and same for the CP Servos?

I can also help test out stuff on my machine, and although I'm not a Linux expert, I do have a dev friend who is so we can get another pair of eyes on things if/as needed.

More
12 Feb 2023 21:22 #264388 by snowgoer540
Sure I’m happy to share.  I’ve been dragging my feet on making a wiring diagram, so perhaps this will motivate me a bit :laugh:

I’ll gather up the model numbers when I get a chance.  Give me a few days :)

More
14 Feb 2023 06:03 - 14 Feb 2023 07:32 #264482 by simplyfast
Awesome, I'm eagerly awaiting ahah.

I just ordered my 7I85S :)

Cheers
Last edit: 14 Feb 2023 07:32 by simplyfast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

More
14 Feb 2023 13:46 #264507 by snowgoer540
Good deal! Did you order the DB25 connector to plug into the 5i25 header, and another db25 cable as well?

If not, they may be able to combine if you email them, they're pretty good about that, and it's still 5:46am in Cali.

More
14 Feb 2023 17:30 #264515 by simplyfast
Yup I ordered the DB25 to 5i25 Second Output Header, and the 3.7" Din Rail mounts but Mesa was out of the DB25M-M cables I will have to source somewhere else.

This gives me the time to prepare and test everything on a VirtualBox machine but for the life of me I can't get it to boot from my PathPilot Recovery USB....

As soon as I get your BOM I'll order the rest as well! FaceCrack Friend request sent too. Cheers!

More
13 Mar 2023 13:33 #266551 by Whitebarn
Wow, this is great! Can't wait to try it! I'm not a programmer, so anything that simplifies the process will be a huge help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowgoer540

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds