Finally getting to my 14'x27' 600 amp plasma table.

More
05 Jun 2018 00:19 - 05 Jun 2018 01:19 #111635 by scubawarm
It had two heads (two 600 amp power units) and was twice as long but want to keep it simple.... LOL. At least to start.

I have a 7I92, 7I77 and 7I78 cards with 2 torch height controls. Also want to try to use newer torches with the older power supplies with THC so cut and consumables last.

I know I need the update firmware on the 7I92 first.

But where is the external offsets at? Still in Dev or have they been merged. Currently what is the easiest road to go down to get this working. We are going to have a couple guys working pretty much full time on it so want to hit the ground running.

Is there a preferred GUI?

I have been trying to catch up with reading but really seems like a lot of conflicting information.

Any free help would be appreciated... Paying for a working starting point would also be considered.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 01:19 by scubawarm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2018 22:33 #111709 by rodw
This post outlines the state of external offsets. You need to consider this as an experiment and sink a lot of time into it.

forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/33788-an...for-thc?limitstart=0

I don't think anyone has it working as originally intended. Islander261 is very close but is using it in a way different to what the developer intended. He has shared a block diagram of his configuration recently in this section.

I would read and follow what I outlined on the other thread, install my torch voltage sampler component and apply a deadband (new feature). Stay in the default eoffset axis gui until you get it working.as it has a lot of useful tools to help tune it. Only put the barest minimum in your config to get it to work and set all torch parameters from gcode. Once you nail it, then build your custom interface and add the bells and whistles.

More
06 Jun 2018 02:09 - 06 Jun 2018 02:10 #111714 by scubawarm
Thanks for the update Rob.

Unfortunately... Kind of what I had gathered from reading.. Which is really surprising to me, given how many hobby plasma tables there are.

So far...
1) Updated the firmware on the 7i92

2) Installed the current Stretch LinuxCNC iso on my little black box. Seems low latency.

3). My helper has been photographing, labeling, and removing wires from various components in the control box. I figure it will just be easier to do one motor, switch, etc at a time and not even worry about what was there. Reason for labeling... Just incase have to put it all together and to find wire pairs from blocks. Not touching the actual control box at all though.

NEXT TODO

4). Need to get the current Dev external offsets on my black box and laptop.

5). Build a basic config... And going to use your advice and stick with the Dev external offsets axis screen for now.

6). Start with X & Y and start adding limit switches one at a time.

7.). Hope and pray for the best.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2018 02:10 by scubawarm.

More
21 Jul 2018 18:40 #114638 by tommylight

I have a 7I92, 7I77 and 7I78 cards with 2 torch height controls.

Currently what is the easiest road to go down to get this working.

What type of torch control ?
The easiest and quickest ( i am aware that this was posted some time ago, somehow i missed it ) is to use a ready made config for 7i92/7i77 and another stepper drive and motor to drive the Z axis ( in your case 2 ), wired to parallel port or the second port on the 7i92.
Let me know if you are interested or keep an eye on the recent posts as i will post it as soon as i get to the other computer.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds