Plasma Pilot Arc Starting

More
12 Aug 2018 09:01 #115945 by little_sparky
Hi everyone,

Will a L/F pilot starting plasma cutter work with a CNC machine? (Is it like a blowback start?)

Background info:
I am looking at making a CNC plasma cutter and know that a HF cutter won’t work but people use blowback style plasma cutters.

However in Australia the only plasma cutter I can find that isn’t HF start is a UNIMIG razorcut 45 which uses a “Pilot L/F” as a means of plasma arc starting.

My question is if this is like the blowback method used widely in CNC plasma cutters? The razorcut 80 uses the same staring method and has CNC connectivity which to me seems like it should work?

I will attach a PDF of machine.

Regards,
Little_sparky
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2018 09:36 #115946 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma Pilot Arc Starting
Its great to see another Aussie here. (I'm in Brisbane).

For an extra $100 or so, you'd be better off with an Everlast which has a blow back torch and a CNC interface. See
www.everlast-welders.com.au/product/PowerPlasma_50

As a matter of fact, you could buy mine for $1k complete with a machine torch, hand torch and some consumables. Its only ever been used for testing and still has some warranty left. I can ship anywhere in Australia as I have accounts with several carriers. You can contact me here
www.vehiclemods.net.au/contact-us

More
12 Aug 2018 09:44 #115947 by little_sparky
Wow it’s great to see another Aussie interested in this kind of stuff! I’m from Melbourne/Shepparton.

Do you own or have you built your own plasma cutter?

And I would definitely be interested in buying your plasma cutter. What’s your reason for selling? Have you used it on a cnc machine?

More
12 Aug 2018 11:18 #115952 by tommylight

I am looking at making a CNC plasma cutter and know that a HF cutter won’t work but people use blowback style plasma cutters.

That is simply not true, i have set up several HV/HF start plasma cutters in use every day. They do work perfectly, granted good grounding and shielding is implemented.
I have yet to test if the THCAD from mesa can work with them.
It all narrows down to where you connect the THC voltage on the plasma cutter, they all have a smallish filter board with some resistors and capacitors, and that is where the control voltage should be wired, not at the terminals that go to the torch.

More
12 Aug 2018 12:31 - 12 Aug 2018 12:32 #115955 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma Pilot Arc Starting
From the Mesa THCAD manual
The THCAD is available in two voltage ranges, 0-10V and 0-300V. When used for plasma voltage monitoring, the
 10V version requires an external high voltage resistor. The advantage of the 10V THCAD and external resistor is that the resistor can be selected to work with high-frequency start torches. The 300V version of the THCAD has all input divider resistor on board and can connect directly to the plasma voltage of touch start type torches only.

So for a HF start device, use the THCAD10 board. Its actually a very well designed purpose built interface board designed for plasma applications.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2018 12:32 by rodw.

More
12 Aug 2018 13:47 #115960 by tommylight
I have the THCAD300

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds