CNC Plasma cutters, DIY, building info and guide

More
06 Oct 2019 17:54 #147279 by machinedude
some pictures to go by.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2019 18:38 #147281 by tommylight
Nice idea !
Thank you.

More
06 Oct 2019 22:16 #147296 by machinedude
not my idea but something i came across that was worth re posting here. it would not be hard to make a mold to make something like this for any torch or shape you wanted but it would not be as cheap as stealing one from an oil filter. so a cheap solution to a real problem with water tables. i think it was for hypertherm torches if i remember right.

More
09 Oct 2019 04:00 #147530 by andypugh

the nice part about bellows is they don't take up very much space when closed up.

Something else that might work, but I have never seen done on a gantry:
www.lathes.co.uk/willson/
Like very wide tape measures.

A sheet steel cover that does not roll up could be passed through a slot in the gantry itself. This is something you sometimes see on lathe cross and compound slides (And on some linear actuators, such as this one thought that picture doesn't really show how the cover passes through a tunnel between the balls nut mount and the travelling part. )

More
16 Oct 2019 22:41 #148055 by tommylight
Some picture of a small machine being built are here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/37614-ne...ry-complicated-build
Also added this link to the second post on this topic as it has all the information on such machine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

More
27 Oct 2019 20:41 - 28 Oct 2019 21:03 #148926 by tommylight
Some picture of a medium sized machine being built are here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/37691-3-...rs-cnc-plasma-cutter
Also added this link to the third post on this topic as it has all the information on such machine.
Regards,
Tom.
Link to video of moving gantry at over 30 meters minute.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 21:03 by tommylight. Reason: add video link

More
12 Dec 2019 14:48 - 12 Dec 2019 14:54 #152535 by Bradua
Thank you for a lot of useful information!
You shared your knowledges and I want to share good source. jonsguide.org/best-plasma-cutter-reviews/ go on this page and read a good review on different plasma cutter.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2019 14:54 by Bradua.

More
12 Dec 2019 22:08 - 12 Dec 2019 22:11 #152556 by thefabricator03

Thank you for a lot of useful information!
You shared your knowledges and I want to share good source. jonsguide.org/best-plasma-cutter-reviews/ go on this page and read a good review on different plasma cutter.

Lol I saw this post eariler this morning when it had the link for futon mattresses,

jonsguide.org/best-futon-mattresses-review/

I mean really wtf is this guy thinking.

Edit: Checked the link and it does show plasma cutters which might be helpful even if he is pushing his products.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2019 22:11 by thefabricator03.

More
12 Dec 2019 23:04 #152560 by machinedude
i remember coming across the editors choice and opted to see if they had a machine torch option for anything? i never did get a response back from them so i took that as a no. those reviews look manipulated honestly. if it was the ten best low end machines with hand torches it would make some sense but it;s not and looks like a marketing aid for self interests if anything. everlast was the only cheaper plasma cutting with a machine torch option and i think i seen some issues with the voltage divider board on the everlast machines if i remember right?

i would say duty cycles are a huge factor in deciding on cutting unit for a cnc table. if your doing full sheets and have a bunch of small parts and the cycle time is really long these cheap machines won't hold up if your able to cobble one together into a cnc system.

just my 2 cents on the subject.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
12 Dec 2019 23:17 #152561 by thefabricator03
How do you think one of those cheap machines would go with this? Its only 10mm thick so should be within the capacity but I think the duty cycle would be a problem.

Attachments:

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds