Plasma cutting details on cnc cutting

More
03 Dec 2019 08:17 - 03 Dec 2019 08:22 #151824 by CNCFred
Dear all,
I found a very good explanation for me as newbie and wanted to share it with you.

I hope I do not break any rules and so I will not post a link, but you can find this
on the forum of the duet3d Com website
The Topic is : Advice on adding plasma torch height control
and checkout the posts from OwenD.

I did not know e.g.the cut height nor the punching height etc.

Or how complicated speed adjustment is... (what the arc voltage does).....
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 08:22 by CNCFred.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2019 08:24 #151825 by thefabricator03
I suggest you read through this plasma primer document written by RodW on this forum, linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/plasma-cnc-primer.html

It has much more depth of knowledge that any forum post,

Tom,

Is it possible to create a sticky thread in the plasma forum where these references can be stored and easily found by new people?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, rodw, CNCFred

More
03 Dec 2019 08:30 #151826 by CNCFred
I have the document of Rodw as a cnc plasma Bible stored, but in short and understandable 1..2..3 nevertheless I liked this post too.

More
03 Dec 2019 08:45 - 03 Dec 2019 08:48 #151827 by thefabricator03
I will admit that is good advice, one thing I hate is that all the good information is scattered around and when you need to read it you have to go finding it.

I have compiled a basic user document for my machine that has similar information, I might see if I can get Rod to add some of the more basic information like a overview of what was in that post and a table of hypertherm cut settings for different speeds,thicknesses and current levels to give newbies some base line settings to work from.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 08:48 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, CNCFred

More
03 Dec 2019 11:56 #151841 by tommylight

Tom,

Is it possible to create a sticky thread in the plasma forum where these references can be stored and easily found by new people?

Yes of course, i already started one about wiring and everything related to it, can i use your schematics for that topic ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: CNCFred

More
03 Dec 2019 20:23 - 03 Dec 2019 20:24 #151898 by thefabricator03

can i use your schematics for that topic ?

Yeah of course. I have attached it to this post.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 20:24 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S, CNCFred

More
04 Dec 2019 08:12 #151956 by rodw

I will admit that is good advice, one thing I hate is that all the good information is scattered around and when you need to read it you have to go finding it.

I have compiled a basic user document for my machine that has similar information, I might see if I can get Rod to add some of the more basic information like a overview of what was in that post and a table of hypertherm cut settings for different speeds,thicknesses and current levels to give newbies some base line settings to work from.

Stefen, feel free to send me your comments. There is another section on hyper sensing that needs to be added.
I think the cut charts would be better off being collected and distributed with the plasmac distro. Maybe you could donate a sample of your cut files, I could add my Thermal Dynamics ones and another could add the 45xp and that would cover most bases.

I think the other problem is the pdf attachments are not well suited to the Linuxcnc documentation model but it would be good to include them somehow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CNCFred

More
04 Dec 2019 11:31 #151976 by tommylight
Section 2 of that primer needs some added info
2. Arc Initialisation
High voltage start
Not the same as high frequency/high voltage start, less interference but still enough to cause issues, less reliable than HF, uses a transformer that outputs 2000 to 4000V ( no info available ) at 50 or 60Hz.
Scratch start
Has no means of starting an arc except scratching the nozzle on the material being cut.
Blowback
This is the most misused expression in plasma cutting, it is very hard to make it reliable as it requires a part of the electrode/nozzle to physically move inside the torch, also very rare. So far i have seen 1 in over 200 of plasma cutters i dealt with. It also required pressing the torch to the material and lifting it before hitting the switch.

That ARC OK section is very confusing and it has no mention of ways that signal can be generated if the plasma cutter does not have it already. It would be nice to include those, with the included warning about the dangers of doing that.
The rest is very well written and explained.
Thank you, Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, CNCFred

More
07 Dec 2019 09:54 #152226 by rodw
I'll see what I can do now I am back home again.

The ArcOK section has only become confusing becasue people have been trying to synthesize the ArcOK signal and the primer was written on the assumption that people were using a machine designed for CNC cutting. This has been exacerbated by lazy CNC builders taking shortcuts and not using the "real" ArcOK signal when it supported. This is asking for trouble and we have seen a number of support requests on the forum where things aren't working becasue of shortcuts the user has taken. I think the plasmac docs need some work in this area too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds