Plasma generators and torches

More
27 May 2020 09:19 #169074 by jay1st
So the time has come to invest a bit (mucho needed) in a real plasma generator !

In my ballpark price wise there is the 45XP, 3 phase and machine torch that'll set me back, roughly, by 3300 euros including VAT.
But i found new generator made by GYS ( they make a lot of mig tig welders for car body shops, and also crap cheap stuff found in general public hardware stores)

It's 70 amp, 3 phase, comes with a CNC interface, a 1/20 voltage divider and a TEMCO machine torch (180°), they say it uses the same consumables as Hypertherm, so i guess HT uses TEMCO torches ??

here is the lik for the cutter
www.gys.fr/prod-013841-P349/PLASMA_CUTTE..._-_TORCH_INCLUDED/en

here is the torch:
www.gys.fr/prod-037526-/_/_TORCHES_PLASMA_ET_ACCESSOIRES_PBS/en

And this is the CNC kit
www.gys.fr/prod-039988-/_/_PLASMA_ACCESSORIES_PBI/en

or www.gys.fr/pdf/spdoc/uk/Kit_CNC.pdf

I dont have much experience in the field of plasma cutters , and if i could get some inputs from you guys it'll be nice, keep in mind it's only a hobby for me to make parts for my friends and our offroad club.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2020 09:34 #169082 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Plasma generators and torches
Ask GYS if they can supply that cutter with a Tecmo PM-70 or PM-125 Machine torch if thats recommended. I've been told they are compatible with Hypertherm consumables.

In Europe I would also give serious consideration to the Esab 60i with a machine torch
www.esabna.com/us/en/products/plasma/pla...td-cutmaster-60i.cfm

Esab now own Thermal Dynamics but in Europe it might be painted yellow. The advantage would be that you get cutting charts and it uses the same torch as my Thermal Dynamics A120 120 amp machine. I've been happy with it. Don't undervalue having cutting charts!

I think the main difference between Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics is that TD has more cutting tips so you might change consumables more often! Plus TD has a higher cutting height which means brighter arc (harder on the naked eye) and slower speeds.

Without knowing costs, and assuming esab is cheaper than HT, I would go with the ESAB in your region. YOu would have to be better off with support from a European company!

More
27 May 2020 09:41 #169087 by jay1st
I called them last week and the machine is sold with the TECMO PM70 torch, and yes it is HT consumables.
As for the chart they dont have one for the 70A machine, but they sent me to 80A chart wich uses the PM125 torch with the same consumables as the PM70, i guess i can use that.

Concerning the price, it's 2300 euros including VAT , with the PM70 and CNC kit provided. looks like a very good deal for me.
Support seems ok aswhen i called they passed me to the R&D dept for the charts

More
27 May 2020 10:10 #169100 by rodw
Sounds pretty good. Once you get the hang of it you will work out the difference from the cut charts pretty quick. But be sure to price an esab too. You might be surprised.
I made that price to be about AUD $3k before our GST/VAT and for that price I could have a HT 45XP. There could be a lot of duties on the US product for you...

More
27 May 2020 10:25 #169107 by jay1st
We have some HT resellers here and it's a premium brand so they take a big margin i guess.

As for ESAB they seem to be very pricy as well, but i'll have a look and try to find a reseller.

The Gys seems to be quite good for the price and the equipment provided, and they answser the phone and help you out, i celled them directly, no special hotine.

More
27 May 2020 11:48 #169116 by rodw
Well you could track down Grotius from the forum here. Grotius Machine Tools, Netherlands... He sells TD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay1st

More
27 May 2020 12:00 #169117 by jay1st
TD and (or ) ESAB 60A machines are in the HT45XP price range, without the torch.

I think i'll go with the GYS

I've looked at the consumables, and they're identical to HT , seems HT uses TEMCO as well

Except if Grotius offers a good deal for LCNC users :)

More
27 May 2020 12:23 #169122 by tommylight

Except if Grotius offers a good deal for LCNC users :)

He does, or he did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay1st

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds