Delta Practicality

More
03 Jun 2020 08:53 #169924 by JTknives
Delta Practicality was created by JTknives
Ever since I seen the delta style 3D printers I find them uniquely interesting. I have wondered how well that setup would work with a plasma cutter. I know a build of this style would present limitations on table size. But in my situation my normal sheet size is 15” x 24”. I cut thin steel in high alloy materials for custom blades. With my 45XP the thin steel needs to be cut so fast it is at the limit of my tables rigidity 200” or so. Dont get me wrong I love my table and it’s all I could ever hop for but I’m always thinking of new and better improvements.

My big question is what do you think the practical speed of a delta set up could be. It seams like it could be quite quick as gravity is your friend and your using 3 axis for x, y and Z. Torch mount would be simple and the lead would just feed right out the top so drag chains and all the wiring that goes with them would mostly be eliminated.

This post is just a “what if” kinda topic. Looking to kick around Ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2020 10:19 #169931 by thefabricator03
Replied by thefabricator03 on topic Delta Practicality
Maybe this might help,

More
03 Jun 2020 15:03 #169947 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Delta Practicality
Very practical for roundy/triangly things, not so much for the rest. But that is not the issue, the issue is with the moving arms and their ability to move sideways, so tight tolerances are out of the window even before starting.
Personally, i look at them as a nice proof of concept, nothing more.

More
03 Jun 2020 16:22 - 03 Jun 2020 16:29 #169959 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Delta Practicality
Actually, these robots are used for pick and place precisely because they are VERY accurate and very fast since the arms are very light. This at least in comparison to the usual serial manipulators you see building cars.
However personally I don't see any particular advantage to a cartesian machine unless a 6 axis version is used for 3D objects that requires the orientation of the torch.
I don't have a plasma cutter so I have no idea if there really is an advantage to justify the seriously constrained work space.
Personally this reminds me of all the videos of 6 axis manipulators milling a circle in a piece of foam. Basically a proof of concept and proof that someone got the kinematics right.
But with deltas you can also build machines with just 3 motors so that seems a little less overly complicated.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 16:29 by Aciera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 Jun 2020 17:15 #169967 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Delta Practicality

Actually, these robots are used for pick and place precisely because they are VERY accurate and very fast since the arms are very light.

Yup, forgot about that, so plasma would be in that category as it has no forces during movement.

More
03 Jun 2020 19:54 #169993 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Delta Practicality
I'm always astonished how fast my 3d printer deltas move with good precision. But i guess that the cabling of a torch is quite stiff. And you need quite some hight as otherwise the angles of the arms gets quite unfavorable.

More
03 Jun 2020 21:06 #170008 by copyleft
Replied by copyleft on topic Delta Practicality
I had one richrap 3dr in 2013 and was very time consuming to get dimensional accuracy in the printed parts, was +/- 0.5mm and I compensated when modeled the parts, using my eustathios a get 0.2mm after one day of assembly and calibration of the printer.

Here if we use one delta for plasma cutter i believe if everyone use it in few weeks the arms broken or badly misalignment

More
05 Jun 2020 12:19 #170248 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Delta Practicality
Deltas can be astonishingly fast:

And they are so much fun. Go for it. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, tommylight, thefabricator03

More
07 Jun 2020 21:23 #170529 by copyleft
Replied by copyleft on topic Delta Practicality
Really fast, impressive the camera dont lost focus with that speed. Very solid the frame and get away with vibration.
To the OP get the same speed of his actual table the frame will need to be very solid (welded), maybe use anchor to the floor and table.
The first video probably with high speed the frame will vibrate a lot.
Here in Japan using big delta we need to have security fence around it by law and if the fence open need to stop it, usually people here make box frame and use it like a fence.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds