THC (Torch Hight Controllers)

More
03 Oct 2020 01:29 #184656 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC (Torch Hight Controllers)
I think PCW at Mesa deserves some credit too for developing a method to introduce the arc voltage into linuxcnc via an encoder input. And yes I agree there are so many who have contributed in an open and collaborative way. In fact it took many years before the community grasped what what was possible to once Linuxcnc knew the torch voltage. It's still in its infancy so there are many more improvements that will come..

I agree though, many thcs will likely wither and die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, pinder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2020 10:56 #184960 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic THC (Torch Hight Controllers)
I thought this was a really interesting and informative thread so I copied most of it onto another forum.
plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=31208

I think it really summarises what is different about linuxcnc and plasma control.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, dvn4life1972, Aldenflorio, pinder

More
16 Jan 2021 03:48 #195518 by txtrone

Hypertherm do THC;'s but they are not for amateurs. I got a quote for a system and it started at $40,000AUD.

CandCNC do THC's as well but in my experience they are junk compared to the THCAD. I spent over $10,000 AUD on a CandCNC system and I scraped it for a Mesa 7i76e and a THCAD10.

Really nothing even comes close to the features and reliability that the THCAD offers.

Sometimes the most simple solutions are the best and most cost effective.

Do you have a schematic you could share regarding the 7i76e, THCAD10, and HyperTherm? I am using the PowerMax85. Thanks!

More
16 Jan 2021 05:23 #195519 by thefabricator03
I have attached my example wiring diagram to this post, I would think the Powemax 85 should have similar CPC port as the Powermax 125 but it would not hurt to check.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
16 Jan 2021 16:41 - 16 Jan 2021 16:51 #195549 by txtrone

I have attached my example wiring diagram to this post, I would think the Powemax 85 should have similar CPC port as the Powermax 125 but it would not hurt to check.

Thanks!

My CandCNC kit came with a plug adapter for the PM85. It's a circular plug that connects to the machine, with an RJ45 port on the the other side. Since you have some past experience with CandCNC you probably know what I am talking about. Can I use this device? Or should I buy the Hypertherm model machine interface cable?
Last edit: 16 Jan 2021 16:51 by txtrone.

More
17 Jan 2021 00:43 #195613 by thefabricator03
With my machine I modified the CPC connector to suit my new setup but I should of just brought a new Hypertherm cable. There was no way for me to use the CandCNC setup as it was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: txtrone

More
17 Jan 2021 01:57 #195622 by txtrone

With my machine I modified the CPC connector to suit my new setup but I should of just brought a new Hypertherm cable. There was no way for me to use the CandCNC setup as it was.

I know what you mean about the CandCNC gear. While I it was totally a boneheaded move on my part to fry the FT02 module, I was glad to be done with it move on to THCAD. The deeper I dive into the equipment that came from CandCNC, the more I realize how amateur it is... or how much they are cutting corners for profit. Right down to the motor wire size. With that being said, I did manage to get a lot of cutting done with my 'Most Popular Bundle' :laugh: after I learned how to work with it. Using the forums over there was like trying to get soup from the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

Just to clarify, is this the correct cable? HT 228350
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
17 Jan 2021 02:21 #195626 by thefabricator03
Yeah that is the correct cable.

I hate to admit it but I actually brought one of those cables when I got my Hypertherm125. I only realized it recently when I was looking in in the Hypertherm box and pulled it out. Felt pretty stupid that I modified the CandCNC cable when I could of just used the Hypertherm cable.

The Hypertherm cable is much better quality.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds