Hypertherm 45XP sanity check

More
07 Apr 2021 16:04 - 07 Apr 2021 16:05 #205263 by Mud
Again with the sanity checks - apologies, I do as much research as possible, but too stressed to believe my own conclusions!

I'm considering upgrading my plasma cutter from the GYS 40FV to a Hypertherm 45XP. Not small money for me, but having priced up steel buildings, I'm tempted to DIY myself something bespoke and this would be a justified purchase! ;)

It looks to me that:
*CPC is essential
*serial is too expensive unless really looking to tweak current and/or pressure on the fly - would hope it's already very good!
*machine torch is desirable
*pendant isn't necessary

Therefore I plan to go with this: Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP Plasma Cutter with 7.6M Machine Torch, CPC Port & Voltage Divider - 230V

I will keep the THCAD-10 and change the divider settings on the 45XP to suit. I have a 32A ceeform/schuko outlet that I am hoping is already sufficient, although annoyingly the 45XP appears to draw 33A peak.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had problems running a 45XP machine torch through their (all-combined) cable chain.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 16:05 by Mud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2021 16:12 - 07 Apr 2021 16:13 #205265 by snowgoer540

Again with the sanity checks - apologies, I do as much research as possible, but too stressed to believe my own conclusions!

I'm considering upgrading my plasma cutter from the GYS 40FV to a Hypertherm 45XP. Not small money for me, but having priced up steel buildings, I'm tempted to DIY myself something bespoke and this would be a justified purchase! ;)

It looks to me that:
*CPC is essential
*serial is too expensive unless really looking to tweak current and/or pressure on the fly - would hope it's already very good!
*machine torch is desirable
*pendant isn't necessary

Therefore I plan to go with this: Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP Plasma Cutter with 7.6M Machine Torch, CPC Port & Voltage Divider - 230V

I will keep the THCAD-10 and change the divider settings on the 45XP to suit. I have a 32A ceeform/schuko outlet that I am hoping is already sufficient, although annoyingly the 45XP appears to draw 33A peak.

I would be interested to know if anyone has had problems running a 45XP machine torch through their (all-combined) cable chain.

-Yes on CPC, it's a must.
-Serial is probably more handy than you think, I like that I never think about touching the power source. The material file has my amperages, and I just worry about having the correct consumables in place. You can always add it later.
-Machine torch is necessary IMO, it's really helpful to getting everything perpendicular.
-Pendant is not needed. They are really for beam/buggo operations where they are using a machine torch, but still need a way to fire the torch, etc.

Honestly the only advice I have (without knowing what you are cutting) is that if you think you want the 45, get the 65. I don't remember what the price difference is, but I chose the 65 basically because I expected mainly to cut at 45A and didnt always want to be maxing the machine out. Plus theres wiggle room now for what I can cut.

THCAD-10 is ideal, but change the divider to 20:1

My cable chain opens up, and it was no problem. I guess it wouldnt be a big deal if you can roll the chain out if yours doesnt open (I dont necessarily understand the question) the torch is not a ton larger than the cable, certainly not as big as the machine side connector. Also, most dont know that the brass rack on the torch comes off. It's only really intended for beam/buggo manual cutting.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2021 16:13 by snowgoer540.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mud

More
07 Apr 2021 18:29 #205277 by Mud
Replied by Mud on topic Hypertherm 45XP sanity check
Ah, didn't realise the serial interface could be retrofitted. Also didn't realise that you can't control initial amperage over CPC at all (thought serial was only necessary for altering current on the fly). Sounds good, but hefty premium from what I have found.

Money aside, I don't think I can drive a 65. I have a 230V supply (my three phase inverter is only 3kW).

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the cable chain question - I meant EMI issues. My current torch cable takes a different route.

More
07 Apr 2021 19:31 #205281 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Hypertherm 45XP sanity check

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the cable chain question - I meant EMI issues. My current torch cable takes a different route.

I don't think this will be a problem. I run my 120 amp Thermal Dynamics torch lead in the cable chain with everything else and have never had an issue.

More
07 Apr 2021 19:36 #205283 by snowgoer540

Ah, didn't realise the serial interface could be retrofitted. Also didn't realise that you can't control initial amperage over CPC at all (thought serial was only necessary for altering current on the fly). Sounds good, but hefty premium from what I have found.

Money aside, I don't think I can drive a 65. I have a 230V supply (my three phase inverter is only 3kW).

Yea CPC is basically arc ok, torch on, and voltage output.

Serial sets the amperage, mode, can set the pressure, etc. Hypertherm recommends against changing amperage on the fly stating that their protocol isn’t fast enough to be effective. Other plasma CNC companies claim to use it effectively. I remain incredibly skeptical. At any rate, I bought it mostly to experiment, but I can’t imagine not having it now. Especially if anyone else will run the table ever. Cheap insurance when a 4x8 sheet of 1/4” material here costs more than the interface....

As for the cable, I’ve had mine ran next to all of the wires going to the various things on the gantry with zero issues. Hypertherms are really well done.

More
08 Apr 2021 15:32 #205331 by Mud
I'll see if I can justify the serial interface - I'm only a hobby user right now, but I am tempted to start cranking out parts for pay. My table is lightweight and relatively small (about 1300x800mm travels), so for any decent size sheet I would revisit the machine design anyway. I think if I went serial now for future-proofing I would also want the longer cable.

I do have most of the bits on hand to make a much bigger machine...just no building to put it in!

More
08 Apr 2021 17:27 #205338 by snowgoer540
I made my own CPC cable because hypertherms price is ridiculous. I can post the connector and pin part numbers from mouser later if you’d like (they’re probably on here somewhere from me already).

I made a 52” by 52” travel machine and I already regret not making it 52” x 104” travel... it’ll never be big enough lol

More
08 Apr 2021 19:00 #205342 by Mud
Thanks, sounds good. I'm not sure how long it will take me to make my workshop, but I have a sizeable plot. I'm thinking about provisioning for a gantry crane to feed a large plasma cutter :)

More
09 Apr 2021 10:20 - 09 Apr 2021 10:20 #205416 by andypugh

I'm thinking about provisioning for a gantry crane to feed a large plasma cutter :)

Make a gantry crane that _is_ a plasma cutter, and you can plasma cut anything that will fit through the door. :-)
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 10:20 by andypugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AgentWD40

More
09 Apr 2021 21:38 #205481 by Mud
Haha - food for thought! Will PlasmaC be 5 axis ready by then?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds