Bevel for 1.2mm Stainless Steel

More
24 Jul 2021 03:44 #215734 by shizyo
Hi, I am cutting some 1.2mm(approx 18g) stainless steel signs and the worst edge is 18-20 degree bevel as seen in the photos. Is it normal or you guys can cut 1.2mm stainless steel with better bevel? What degree will you expect with 1.2mm thickness? Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2021 03:46 #215736 by thefabricator03
What plasma unit are you using?

I have cut 1.2 stainless with my Hypertherm Powermax 125 with next to no bevel on the edges. I used the Hypertherm manual cutting specs with a 45amp nozzle.

More
24 Jul 2021 03:55 #215737 by shizyo
I use Hypertherm Powermax 45 with finecut. Do you use the regular speed or slow speed in the book? Thanks.

More
24 Jul 2021 04:02 #215738 by thefabricator03
I used the best quality settings in the manual. I have used Finecut consumables with stainless before and used the best quality settings as well.

I would try slowing the speed down and seeing if that helps at all.

Are you using new consumables? Is your air pressure correct and the air clean and dry? Is your machine amperage correct? Is your earth clamp securing to your cutting slats? - make sure it has a good connection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, shizyo

More
24 Jul 2021 13:40 #215775 by tommylight

Are you using new consumables? Is your air pressure correct and the air clean and dry? Is your machine amperage correct? Is your earth clamp securing to your cutting slats? - make sure it has a good connection.

All of the above, plus, check the cut height, both to low and to high will do that,cutting speed to high, torch tilted, worn nozzle or destroyed when piercing.
1.2mm should have no bevel or be so small that can barely be seen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, shizyo

More
24 Jul 2021 23:46 #215819 by thefabricator03
Tom brought up a good point, double check that your torch height is actual to what you have set it in the software.

I find that when I have issue, if I go through and double check the basics I just about always find what was causing the issue.

The other day I had a issue where my plasma operator set up our machine and the program kept cutting off the side of the plate. Turns out he forgot to square up the sheet of steel to the table. Sometimes its the simple things we overlook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, shizyo

More
25 Jul 2021 01:03 #215827 by shizyo
I tried everything, changing new comsumables, squaring the torch to the material, install a motorguard filter... but it didn't help alot. When I turned the torch around 90 degree, the bevel would change as well so I think there is something wrong with the air in the torch. I just straightened the torch coil assembly and going to have some test this afternoon. One more thing I am going to do is install a new meter at the back of the Hypertherm 45 to measure the actual psi. I have 120psi at the compressor, is it too much or should I turn down the psi to 90?

More
25 Jul 2021 01:10 - 25 Jul 2021 01:12 #215829 by thefabricator03
How far away is your compressor to your plasma unit? My compressor is set to 120 psi but it is outside of our shed and I have a regulator just before my plasma unit that turns the pressure down to 90 psi.

Sounds like its definitely a torch issue. I would get in contact with your Hypertherm agent and see if they have any idea of what could be the issue with the torch. How old is your unit? There might be some air line parts that are worn out. When you changed your consumables did you swap out your swirl ring?
Last edit: 25 Jul 2021 01:12 by thefabricator03.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shizyo

More
25 Jul 2021 01:53 #215831 by shizyo
The compressor is a few meter from the plasma cutter but there is a long coil connected between the compressor and the plasma cutter. I think it will cut the coil shorter to see any difference. The plasma unit is a few years old and the torch is couple years old. Yes, I did change the swirl ring. Does the swirl ring still stick to the torch as you take off the retaining cap to change the consumables?

More
25 Jul 2021 01:57 #215832 by thefabricator03
Yeah I am sure the swirl ring is designed to stick to the torch when you take the retaining cap off.

I would think as long as the plasma unit is getting enough air it should function as normal as it has its own internal air regulator, well my 125 unit does, not sure about the 45 amp unit.

Does the unit show any error codes when you are cutting? If its not getting enough air or the input air pressure is too high it will display a error code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shizyo

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds