PandP Plasma table build

More
22 Feb 2022 20:39 - 22 Feb 2022 20:42 #235554 by jonasc
The PandP plasma table build has begun.  Been wanting one for years, but finally found the time to jump in. 

I'm calling it my "P and P" plasma table as I'm using a lot of plywood and plastic.  Plywood because I haven't found the right aluminum tube to use as a gantry yet.  And Plastic because i'm 3d printing the stepper mounts / belt reduction bits. 

So far I have linuxcnc talking to the 7i76 board and have been testing the motor speed and acceleration settings. 

But now I need some help with the water pan specs.  How deep should the pan be?  What gauge of metal should be used?  The pan will sit on the piece of plywood shown in the photo so it shouldn't have to hold up any weight on the bottom. 

Thanks for the help.  I've been really inspired by the builds posted on this forum!
Jonas
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2022 20:42 by jonasc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2022 20:47 #235556 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PandP Plasma table build
I usually make them 10cm deep with 5cm slats, slats out of 50x2mm mild steel. That is more than enough for up to 70A plasma cutters, for more powerful ones i go 15cm deep with 10cm slats.
I use 40x40 L profile, one side cut every 50mm, so the slats just slide in, slats just tack welded to those L profiles so they do not come out when loading sheets.

More
22 Feb 2022 21:35 #235558 by jonasc
Replied by jonasc on topic PandP Plasma table build
Thanks for the quick reply!

I should probably draw a picture....but let me make sure I got this.

the slats are 50mm slid into cuts in the L profile. Depending on how deep the L is cut, total height of the slats from the bottom of the L would be about 60 - 70mm.

So the top of the slats are below the edge of the water table. water level must be close to the top of the slats.

More
22 Feb 2022 22:11 #235559 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PandP Plasma table build
YES ! :)
The happiness is because i was able to explain something without making a mess, as i usually do on long-ish replies.
And just so you know, the water can be over the slats and the material, most plasma cutters have absolutely no issues firing and cutting with a fully submerged torch tip. I do this often to see the amazed looks on peoples faces! :)

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 2.342 seconds