Recommanded good stepper motor with encoder for plasma CNC

More
29 Jul 2022 19:34 - 30 Jul 2022 10:25 #248646 by pit34
Hello,

I am currently designing my own 2x1m plasma table, with maybe a dual head with a wood router. This table would be used in my workshop.
I think I will go with LAM drivers, and I am looking to use closed-loop with stepper motors and encoders. I have seen a lot of steppers, with or without encoders. And I wonder if I should add encoders on motors, or go with motors already fit with encoders.
I have seen LAM motors with already fit encoders on mechapro.de. That seems good but are really expensive. I have no sufficient knowledge on stepper motors to know which one is a good bang for the buck, and which one not...

What stepper motor brand would you recommend going with the LAM drivers ?
If those motors are not fitted with encoders, which encoders brand would you recommend ?

Any tips are welcome ;)
Thanks in advance.

Last edit: 30 Jul 2022 10:25 by pit34.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2022 20:03 - 29 Jul 2022 20:04 #248648 by rodw
Plasma has no cutting forces and will only loose steps if the motor gets hot from working outside its comfort zone becasue the velocities and accelleration settings in your config are too high. If your motor selection has been poor and they do get too hot, you can just reduce these settings (mostly acceleration) in your config.

Those of us using Lam are using their open loop drivers (eg DS1076/DS1076A and DS1073/DS1073A or their open frame LS equivalents) . Some of us use the Lam boost feature to reduce the current to the drives when at constant velocity as power requirements when not accelerating or decelerating and be as low as 15% of what is required when the motor is working. This lets the motor cool and perform at (much) higher levels without overheating and loosing steps.

Also the Lam open loop drivers have an alarm output that can be connected to Linuxcnc to signal when either the drive or the motor have faulted (most often overheated) before steps are lost.

If you were to go to the Lam closed loop drivers or add encoders, you would probably achieve the same result for less money if you used servo motors.

Of course using a premium driver like Lam means you really should be using premium Industrial grade motors. Lam, Moon, Motion King and Sanyo Denki are a few that spring to mind.

Last edit: 29 Jul 2022 20:04 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Jul 2022 22:09 #248655 by tommylight
I agree with Rod, if you can squeeze and get the Lam Technologies drives, they are by far the best open loop drives, and they do have closed loop drives, and they do have analog input +-10V stepper drives.
If you are in Europe, check www.mechapro.de they had the DS1044 and DS1076 discounted at 100 and 150 Euro respectively.
They are pricey but worth every penny.
Beware that using as an example the DS1044 rated at 4A, that is the continuous RMS rating, not peak, so pairing them with chinese 4A motors will most probably burn the motors to a crisp.
Another good feature of those drives, besides what Rod already mentioned, they can not be destroyed, i tried, a lot! :)
Also, just in case you go for it, you need a programing dongle for them, it was 28 Euro, only one needed for all their drives.
-
As for closed loop ones, i have not tested any of those yet, so can not offer much help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
29 Jul 2022 22:43 #248656 by pit34
Thanks Rod for those precisions.

I think I have misspoken, and what I want to do is not called "closed-loop". Let me explain.

Despite all the careful I will take in my workshop, as I could do a lot of other activity around the plasma table, there is a risk of an object falling or blocking the gantry displacement. Dust could be an issue too if it blocks carriages on rails. So I would like to have a system that know when steps are lost and stop itself, signaling the issue.

I want to use LAM drivers' Boost feature too. And I thought it was possible to use the f-error on LinuxCNC, via a Mesa board, to trigger an alarm when a high f-error threshold is reached. Threshold set to correspond to step losses. Reading this Tommy's post , it seems possible. But maybe is not possible, and maybe LinuxCNC can not adapt the movement to compensate lost steps ?
As I will maybe add a wood router tool on the head in addition of plasma tool, it would be even more important to know when steps are lost.

I will take a look at Lam, Moon, Motion King and Sanyo Denki.

More
30 Jul 2022 23:13 #248701 by rodw
If something falls on the table it will be becasue of you so it should be you who removes it :)
Do your homework. Plasma and routers have totally different design parameters (light and fast vs big and heavy) so they are not compatible....
With Plasma velocity and acceleration is king, routers are not so fussy!

More
31 Jul 2022 20:15 #248751 by pit34

If something falls on the table it will be becasue of you so it should be you who removes it :)

Yes, of course, but if an object fall on the table when the gantry is moving, it can block the movement and break something before I can reach it and remove it. Whereas, if the system can detect a lot of lost steps, it can stop forcing on object.
If it can be done easily, why don't implement it ? Does it seem useless to you ?

Do your homework. Plasma and routers have totally different design parameters (light and fast vs big and heavy) so they are not compatible....
With Plasma velocity and acceleration is king, routers are not so fussy!

I have done my homework . I know plasma and router have very different needs and are not compatible. But I think there are some tricks to be able to mount both on the same table.
My idea is to have the router spindle removable, and not mounted when the plasma is cutting. It will be mounted only if needed. And as a router for wood or plastic do not need a lot of force while moving on X and Y, a plasma table frame may have sufficient rigidity.
This router would be used on wood or plastic sheets of 50mm thick or less.

From my inexperienced point of view, it seems compatible. What do you think about it ?

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds