LinuxCNC for hi-def plasma questions

More
23 Nov 2022 14:38 #257476 by caretech
Has anyone here ever controlled a Hypertherm hi-def plasma unit using LinuxCNC? Can the gas mixing controls be integrated into qtplasmac? I have searched the forum multiple ways for discussions about hi-def plasma control and have come up short. Someone asked me specifically about the Hypertherm MaxPro 200.

If this has been discussed here before and I'm asking what has already been answered, my apologies and links would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2022 19:02 #257499 by rodw
I don't believe anyone has used linuxcnc to control the Maxpro200.
It could be done.
You could extend the existing QTPlasmac serial comms used in the Powermax mechines to control the machine and gas panel but this is not real time. But at just 19200 baud, this may not be  a big issue.
Real time would be desired to alter current on the fly  for corners etc. 
To achieve realtime RS422 you would need to look at writing drivers for the UART on a Mesa card or possibly going with an Ethercat serial interface like the Beckhoff EL6022
Be aware  the Maxpro is a HF start machine so getting EMI under control will be difficult. This will be particularly difficult if you adopt ohmic sensing as you end up with a big antenna from the torch feeding back into the control panel. Be sure this is capacitvely decoupled as it enters the control box.

More
22 Dec 2022 08:34 #260061 by RDA
MaxPro is not a high def plasma, its basically just a big powermax. It doesn have a serial connection so it should work like any other plasma.

More
22 Dec 2022 08:43 #260062 by RDA
Honestly ”nobody” uses realtime serial with plasmas. The corner current reduction is typicallly done using the digital input provided by the plasma, but maxpro doesnt have even that. Almost if not all, highdef plasmas will have it.

The EMI is not bad if you buold the machine correctly and tie all the grounds properly. Ohmic sensing if done correctly should not be a problem. A much less smaller detail often being disregarded is servo motors and their motor cables/wires. Modern motors have very high switching fequencies and can be pretty high current thus inducinng a lot of noise if not done properly.
I would not waste time with serial anyway as almost all high def plasmas worth mentioning can be used with ethercat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Dec 2022 22:45 #260182 by caretech

MaxPro is not a high def plasma, its basically just a big powermax. It doesn have a serial connection so it should work like any other plasma.

Does this mean the Powermax serial communications built into Qtplasmac would work without customization?

Thanks for your inputs, by the way. I understand very little about hi-def. My table has a Powermax 85. I've never seen a DIY table with an HPR or XPR but if someone out there has done it, I hope they speak up!

More
23 Dec 2022 23:22 #260186 by tommylight

I've never seen a DIY table with an HPR or XPR but if someone out there has done it, I hope they speak up!

Never got my hands on an HPR or XPR, i would have gladly make it work with my machines! :)
I did work with two of HD ones, though, no idea what model they were.

More
24 Dec 2022 00:15 #260195 by caretech

I did work with two of HD ones, though, no idea what model they were.

Are you saying you've controlled HD machines with LinuxCNC?

More
24 Dec 2022 00:25 - 24 Dec 2022 00:26 #260198 by vre
I have HD plasma but in my machine gas control - thc is build in to plasma unit
linuxcnc does not have access to that.

HD plasma is same as air plasma except that has precision gas flow path torch(torch is expensive) and needs different gases for cut(O2 N2 Air H2) and argon for pilot arc ignition.
Also has electronic presure gas regulators so you can set the pressures of gases from plasma machine.
In corners does not have current reduction.
Current reduction in corners is linuxcnc related that knows the movement
of the torch and plasma machine must support live current set but mine machine not
support that current is fixed before cut and for each current value 15/30/45/60/80/120
needs different nozzle.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 00:26 by vre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, caretech

More
24 Dec 2022 00:32 #260199 by tommylight
If by machines you mean industrial plasma cutters with Hypertherm HD source, then yes i did.
BUT, do not get your hopes to high, both were made to work with LinuxCNC, both were old, the only functionality i needed from them is torch on, arc ok, and voltage.

More
24 Dec 2022 00:58 - 24 Dec 2022 01:07 #260206 by caretech
Aww, I was hoping you'd tell me you've connected them to take gas mixing instructions from gcode. 

At least I think that's how it's done with Pronest, etc.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 01:07 by caretech.

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds